1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario CQ60 - strange noises from inside

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cloudburst7, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cloudburst7

cloudburst7 Thread Starter

There are strange noises coming from the inside of my laptop. It makes a crackly noise like static and a screeching noise like a fax machine or an old modem.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it's worrying me. There's a history to this. I bought a laptop a couple of weeks before Christmas, but it seized up and refused to boot either normally or from the recovery drive. This happened within 2 days of buying it and shortly after hearing noises like those I've got now.

The first one couldn't be repaired but it was exchanged, no-quibble - immediately, so I've had this one for a few weeks. The fact that I'm hearing strange noises now from this replacement makes me think that either it's normal and was nothing to do with the crash, or that this model has a failing somewhere. I've googled and can't see anything relating to either.

Any ideas?

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Take it back and let them hear it. It's up to them to make good on whatever purchase you've made. They may well have had more than one complaint on these particular laptops and know there's issue with the bunch of them. Don't be concerned about getting what you've paid for. Jazz
    No this shouldn't be happening.

3. cloudburst7

cloudburst7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it did eventually go the way of the other one. It froze and would only restart in safe mode. Safemode automatically triggered an attempt to find and repair errors, but that failed as well, several times. It did restart in normal mode once, but then froze again when I tried to log-in.

System restore failed - I tried from various points including going back a week then two.

Then I tried the recovery system and it too failed. On the previous laptop it failed several times and always at the same point. This one I only tried once, it failed at 94% completed and 5 mins remaining, but just sat there going no further.

So it's gone back to the shop. Initially they wanted to send it back for repairs, or exchange it for another model of the same price, but eventually agreed to the refund. I didn't want to be rushed into choosing a new one in the mood I was in.

So, I'm once more looking for a new laptop. :(

Given that I've had a very similar problem with two separate machines, I'd be interested to know if there are any known issues with this one, but so far have been unable to find anything.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'm not allowed to post what I see in the way of reviews but I would check around for the reviews on the model and see what you come up with. jazz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/789382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice