Solved Compaq Presario CQ62 won't turn back on

Untechucated

I have an old Compaq Presario CQ62 laptop (64) running Windows 10 Home, which I have only been using plugged in, because the installed battery is dead. It has worked fine for months and months. Today I couldn't get my computer to shut down, so I tried to manually shut it down pressing the power button, but it wouldn't do anything. I also tried clear, alt, delete and nothing, so I unplugged the power source, knowing it would shut down eventually because the battery was dead, and that worked. Now it will not power back up plugged in. It does nothing. No light, no fan, no sound. I tried the whole remove the battery, unplug the power cord and hold down the power button for 30 to 60 seconds, but that didn't work. I also tried another working power cord. I don't want to invest in a new battery if it will not make a difference, but is there a chance a new battery might resolve this, even if it has been working plugged in with a dead battery for so long? Please help!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Compaq Presario CQ62 series laptops are 10 years old, so they're not worth investing much if any money into.
The cost of new battery will probably be more than what the laptop is worth, and there's no guarantee a new battery will make it work.

What's the complete model number of yours?
(Note: a dash and additional characters after CQ62 comprises the complete model number)

What's the exact serial number on it?

--------------------------------------------------

Untechucated

I hon
The Compaq Presario CQ62 series laptops are 10 years old, so they're not worth investing much if any money into.
The cost of new battery will probably be more than what the laptop is worth, and there's no guarantee a new battery will make it work.

What's the complete model number of yours?
(Note: a dash and additional characters after CQ62 comprises the complete model number)

What's the exact serial number on it?

--------------------------------------------------
There are no additional characters after the CQ62. I understand the computer is old, but it was working fine for my needs, so if I can get it to power up again I'll be happy. A battery around $25 would be worth it to me, if I knew there was a possibility it would make it turn on. If someone can tell me that for sure isn't it, or has another suggestion from what I've already tried, that would be great. Please see my name again...UNTECHUCATED 🤔

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't think the battery would cause the issue, though it's possible. This seems to be more of the AC power plug on the computer. I am wondering if the power pcu or the motherboard is bad. A battery for the computer is about $20-25 so you could try that, and if it works, then you have replaced the dead one.

As to the info Frank was asking, there should be a label on the bottom of the machine, or in the compartment under the battery, where it should have the model and serial information.

Untechucated

I don't think the battery would cause the issue, though it's possible. This seems to be more of the AC power plug on the computer. I am wondering if the power pcu or the motherboard is bad. A battery for the computer is about $20-25 so you could try that, and if it works, then you have replaced the dead one.

As to the info Frank was asking, there should be a label on the bottom of the machine, or in the compartment under the battery, where it should have the model and serial information.

Found it...Model CQ62-219WM

I appreciate the help, but it sounds like I would have to take it to be looked at. I was hoping it would be something simple I wasn't doing properly, since it was fine and then it wasn't. If anyone else was using their computer plugged in with a dead battery, and found purchasing a new battery to start it up again worked, I'd be curious to hear from you.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Nice deal on that battery there.

as to the issue, the only other thing I can suggest is removing (while no power connected) the memory and hard drive and any usb devices and see if that helps.

Untechucated

Thank you. I can definitely get a good deal on a battery no problem. As far as your other suggestion, I'm not sure how a non tech savvy person would remove all that, but once removed, then what? Not sure how removing things fixes a computer not turning on??? Thanks for your patience.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It could be that one of those components is preventing the computer from booting up. It's not a common procedure to troubleshoot so if you feel uncomfortable, then you can skip this.

Untechucated

Ended up being motherboard issue! Sent her to the computer graveyard since it wasn't worth the cost to repair. 😞

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online