1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario F730 won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Patsteirer, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patsteirer

Patsteirer Thread Starter

Okay, so this has been really frustrating me for a while. I mean, this laptop isn't one I paid a whole lot of money for or anything, but all the same I'd like to get it working.

I know for a fact that some aspect of the monitor, video card, or connections between them and the motherboard is shot. The backlighting on the LCD screen at the very least is broken. But thats okay, I want to use it with an external Monitor. Anyways, I'll try and be as specific as possible in describing my problem.

There's something wrong with the battery, because I can't even get a response from the power button without the powersupply attached.

Now, even when it's not turned on, the blue LED for the battery indicator is ALMOST always blinking. I've noticed that Scenario 1 only happens when it is blinking

Power LED- the one on the left
    Battery LED- Middle one
    CD LED?-one on the right

Okay, so the basic specs-

Compaq Presario F730US
    RAM- 2x 512mb chips, 1Gb total

Now, what happens-

When I start it up, one of a few things happens

1)The left most LED turns on, then the right most, then the touchpad LED flashes, the powerbutton flashes, green light on the CD drive flashes, then everything shuts off

2)The left most LED turns on, then the right most, then the touchpad LED flashes, the powerbutton flashes, green light on the CD drive flashes, then everything shuts off, then starts all over again, without stopping

3)The left and right LED turn on, the middle LED starts blinking, Power button glows consistently, left LED stays lit, the LED above the touchpad stays on, the orange Wifi button stays on. green LED on the CD drive flashes occasionally. After about 10 secs, it all shuts off, and reboots, but goes to the second scenario.

4)The left and right LED turn on, the middle LED starts blinking, Power button glows consistently, left LED stays lit, the LED above the touchpad stays on, the orange Wifi button stays on. green LED on the CD drive flashes occasionally. The fan turns on, and it sounds like the harddrive is spinning. After about 10 secs, it shuts off, reboots, but goes to the second scenario

5)The left and right LED turn on, the middle LED starts blinking, Power button glows consistently, left LED stays lit, the LED above the touchpad stays on, the orange Wifi button stays on. green LED on the CD drive flashes occasionally. The fan turns on, and it sounds like the harddrive is spinning. It will stay like this for up to 30 minutes, then shuts off, doesn't reboot.

Okay, before anyone talks about boot settings or anything that requires input...

NOTHING Shows up on the screen, either the laptop's or an external one. That said, I can't Access bio settings, boot in safe mode, or anything like that...because well, I can't boot up at all. NOTHINNGGGG shows up on the screen, no matter what happens.

Please help.

2. Patsteirer

Bummmmpppp

3. Patsteirer

Bump again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice