1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario Hard Drive replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sullysam1, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sullysam1

sullysam1 Thread Starter

I recently installed a new Hard Drive in a Compaq Presario 7000 for the church up the street when there hard drive failed. Once I installed the new HD I tried to reload the software using the Recovery CD. In the instructions for the Recovery CD it says that a menu will appear. When I boot using the Recovery CD it simply comes up with and A> prompt. What am I missing???? It sounded easy!!!!!!!!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Maybe its detected a change in the computer hardware. Type DIR and enter - any setup files? Try D: and enter and then DIR - any setup?

3. sullysam1

sullysam1 Thread Starter

I did change the hardware. It changed from a 20 Gig Drive to a 60 gig drive....I am not currently sitting at the computer so I can't enter the command..

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try partitioning and formating the drive before running the Recovery CD. Does the bios recognise the drive correctly?

5. sullysam1

sullysam1 Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot and get back to you....Thanks for your help...

6. sullysam1

sullysam1 Thread Starter

I did the DIR command and there were no files called setup.

7. sullysam1

sullysam1 Thread Starter

I also repartioned the drive and I can do a DIR on it so I think the system knows it's there

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice