1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario HD Partition

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by xgerryx, Jul 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

A mate of mine has just bought himself a Compaq Presario and asked me to give him a hand at getting it up & running so I said I would, (really a classic case of the blind leading the blind). We did get the thing going & connected to ISP so miracles do happen. What I would like to know more about is the partitioned HD that it has. Am I right in thinking it is a backup of some sort.

2. Strange Ian

Strange Ian

You are correct in thinking it is a back up of some kind, do not delete it as the system needs this in place to use it's tool, etc. I deleted it once on one, :eek: Dont worry, you can download the program onto a bootable floppy disc from Compaq site or Driver Search site. Have fun, we learn by the mistakes we make, we advance by the sharing of those errors. :)

3. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

I was expecting it to start straight away but instead it hummed & whirred for quite a while before much happened. Is this because it was loading info from one partition to the other.

4. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi xgerryx. I'm using a three + year old presario. It came with a 10GB HD (I've since added a 60GB) with Win98 that was partitioned into C: (7GB) and D: (3GB). You are correct, the D: partition has all the CAB files as a backup for C: My presario also had a compaq utility where you could do a "system save" and completely back up everything on C: onto D: This is much like the system restore capability of WIN ME and XP.

Since you have XP and the ability to do system restore's, I'm not sure compaq would also have it's own system save/restore utility. But, i'm guessing it's still part of presarios and yes, you proabably don't want to mess with the D: partition.

Concerning your last point, no, your PC would not be "loading" anything from D: to C: on boot up. There should not be any long delay in booting up, especially on a new pc. If this continues, I would have your friend contact compaq while still under warranty.

:)

5. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Strange Ian & Buckaroo,
    Thanks for your answers guys & have a good day

Gerry

6. buckaroo

buckaroo

7. Strange Ian

Strange Ian

I still have a couple of floppys with Compaq support scripts & drivers on.I could email the programs to you to unzip onto a floppy if thats of any assistance to you.?

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path.., & leave a trail.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice