1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario HDD replacement ?s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cologero, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cologero

cologero Thread Starter

I've searched this site, I've asked HP/Compaq, and I've checked search engines but still don't have an answer, so wondering if I can find it here.
    I have a Compaq Presario 700 with what I believe is a dead hard drive. I want to replace it, but not sure if it is necessary to copy the files from the drive first. I don't think it's possible, as the drive doesn't seem to work at all. Can I replace it with a new (upgraded) hard drive and just run the original Windows QuickRestore discs, or is there something more to it that I would need?
    Here's what happens: I switch the laptop on and it wants to start up, but then, before Windows is running, the hard drive begins it's lovely scraping and clunking noises and I eventually get a black screen with plain text saying windows had to shut down... and is beginning dump of physical memory. Of course, this all started after some fool (maybe me, maybe not) dropped the laptop.
    Every site I've checked says I'll need to create a backup of all files before replacing the hard drive. I didn't have anything on there that I need to save, so am wondering if I can just run the QuickRestore and get back to business as usual.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

3. cologero

cologero Thread Starter

Thank you for your input.
    It's the Presario 722US, which I bought nearly six years ago. I will go for the replacement attempt and hope it works. (I'd much rather repair it than get a new laptop, even though of course I could get something "better" and faster, etc, for much much less than I originally paid.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651293