1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq presario help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Xkarinx, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xkarinx

Xkarinx Banned Thread Starter

ok when i start up it shows the compaq logo then theres some beeps and it goes to a black screen. Any help? any way to reset all my stuff? i press f11 and it goes to some bios thing and i really dont know what to do. Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Beeps mean something's wrong with the hardware. Check that your RAM is seated properly, for starters. I hope this is a desktop, because it's a little harder to figure out hardware problems on a laptop.

4. Xkarinx

yea its a desk top, but i dont know how to check if my RAM is seated properly, i have read somthing bout mscongif, will running this help? and if it does how would you form safe mode?

5. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

msconfig will only help with what programs start once windows loads. It sounds like you're not even getting to that point. Are you?

Open the panel on the side, it should be held on with two or three screws in the back. Once it's unscrewed, it should slide to the back and thn come off. Don't touch anything yet, just look around and see if there is too much dust or anything obviously amiss.

6. Xkarinx

if there is alot of dust should i dust it off? and can i just system recover everything?

7. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Remove the dust using compressed air only, a regular dust rag or feather duster will create static electricity and could fry your components. You don't want that.

System restore isn't possible if you can't boot. The beeps you hear are audio notifications telling you something is wrong with the internal hardware. If you can get into BIOS, it isn't the graphics card. The number of beeps and their frequency might tell us what type of error it is.

8. Xkarinx

ok tommarow ill check how many beeps and frequency right now its very late and im ganna head to bed, ill report to you tomamrow

9. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

I probably won't be around for the weekend, so when this pops up tomorrow, can some one else please help Xkarinx with this problem.

10. Xkarinx

ok heres what i got, from the beginning. I start it up and the compaq presario logo comes on in the bottem right it says f1=setup f10= recovery, it also makes 1 beep. Then the screen goes black and a little white dash blinks on and off looks like _ then i hear a sound kind of like when you put a floppy into the computer, i dont know how to describe it kind of like a drrrr sound. I can get into safe mode. I hope thats enoff info. I also have a E-machine that works fine windows 95 or 98 cant remember, But if you can i can take the ram or anything from that in put it into my compaq if needed. and i really dont know how to open up my computer i tried but looks like i might need some special tools i dont have, if theres another way could some 1 link a website on how to open it up. Oh and another thing to add my friend told me it might be from not enoff power like the fan is messed up. Thanks

11. Xkarinx

think this might help when i turned on my computer and pressed f4 alot it went to the same black screen but also said disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. Also when i press f11 i get into what i think is safe mode

12. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

You can't use the ram from a 98 or 95 OS and you best stop all that pressing and clicking unless you know exactly what you are doing. Just my two cents worth. I hope someone can deal with your problem. I surely can't. Good luck.

13. Xkarinx

ok, thanks ill wait for more replies on what to de before i do anything

14. Xkarinx

Bump =P

15. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

It sounds like there might be a problem with your harddrive, unless you have a floppy drive that makes the drrrr noise. First, make sure all the cables are firmly connected to the motherboard. If you're not sure which ones go to the harddrive, check all the cables, it won't hurt to make sure they're all tight.

I don't think F11 would get you into safe mode, is it your BIOS setup maybe?

16. Xkarinx

yes the bios setup, and where is the motherboard? i look into it and i dont know where it is lol

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655196