1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario - Installed a new hard drive 120GB; Bios sees all of it but Fdisk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdubslawman, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bdubslawman

bdubslawman Thread Starter

Hello all great website!

:confused: Compaq Presario 7000 series (model #7QSM11) using Windows ME, AMD 1332 mhz processor. My sister's computer. Hard drive was a 60GB, but it died. So I bought a new hard drive actually tried a 160GB first but thought the 137GB issue was the problem so now I am trying a 120GB western digital Caviar.

I found and successfully flashed the latest bios. (ROM date 3/28/02-786K2 Family). I checked the bios and it does see all 120GB. But when I goto partition it, I run into problems. Three methods tried: I tried to use Western Digitals included CD-ROM, even created the DOS boot floppy that they recommended on another system. Doesn't work keeps coming up with an error that something like A:\Auto???.exe not found. I checked the floppy that file is there?? Comes up whether I am booting from the floppy or from the CD-ROM.

So I tried fdisk from a Windows ME boot disk. Fdisk will only find/or report 24GB. I cleared the partition and tried using the Compaq restore disks but they came up with the same problem.
    Am I right in thinking that this is a Windows ME issue?
    Can you tell me how to fix this problem?

My computer is a Dell 8100, also running Windows ME but with a Intel P4, I installed a 200GB hard drive and had to flash the bios, and then I am not sure if it was Maxtor's DDO dynamic disk overlay or Intel's application accelerator, or the Flashed Bios, but Windows ME sees the whole hard drive.

I am so frustrated, I am not completely stupid, but I can't seem to set up a computer like I want ever without a whole rig-a-ma-roll?

I will be so thankful as will my sister, if you can help me with this problem.

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

FDISK has a problem with large hard drives; you can download a full bootdisk and/or just the updated FDISK from this site: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Scroll down to "Updated fdisk for Windows 98 bootdisks and/or systems for hard drives over 64 Gig" for just FDISK in a compressed ZIP file.

Or use the hard drive's manufacturers software, which can be downloaded from their webgsite for free, to partition and format the drive.

4. bdubslawman

Thank you for your response.
    I was using boot.com's version of the Windows ME boot disk. Then I tried what you recommended. To use the update for 98 which supports hard drives greater than 64GB. It gives me a message "incorrect MS-Dos version". I also noted that the creation date on that fdisk is older by a month or so, than the one of the Windows ME boot disk.

I emailed the site webmaster of boot.com to see what he has to say about that error?

As for the second part, I did try and use Western digitals software to partition their drive... but as you can see above, each way I try running it it gives me a error related to a file it cannot find on the A: drive...

STILL IN COMPUTER HELL HERE!

Thanks for any additional help/or ideas

5. bdubslawman

With the 120GB installed as the only drive, I ran fdisk on my Dell (also Windows ME). Made the full thing a C: drive, and it saw it as 114GB yeah, right?

Well when I stuck it back into the Compaq and put in the Compaq restore disks, well guess what they did? :eek: They reset the size to 23.75 GB again???
    What the hell is going on?

and does anyone know how to fix it?
    :confused:

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

That makes some sense. Windows ME should be fine with a drive of that size; however the problem seems to be the Compaq and their software. If you have Partition Magic or another partition manager, there are some free ones if you search Google, you may be able to resize the partition to the full size once Windows is installed. I'm also guessing there may be a second Compaq partition being created to store their junk on it; you can leave that one on but shrink it down to size if the space is really large.

If you use a Restore CD it will destroy the existing partitions unless it has an option not too, and many do not.

7. bdubslawman

I am having problems getting this not too darn old computer 2001 to recognize all of my 120GB. I have updated the BIOS and the whole 120GB is seen there. But for some reason (related specifically to compaq) I can only get this harddrive to register as 23.75 GB using fdisk and by using Compaq's Quick Restore disks.
    The operation system in Windows me, but that is not the limiting factor as I know that it supports at least 137GB. So this has something to do with either a master boot record that I can't change by simply creating a new partition and/or running the restore disks or by something goofy that Compaq has going on.
    Somebody else out there must have updated a Presario 7000Z series model # 7QSM11 or realatively close to it. :D
    Thank you

8. bdubslawman

My guess was right, for once. I am still waiting on a second email as to why and what can be done about it, but that model Compaq Presario 7QSM11 has a freakin HD limitaion of 75GB.......... CRAP!
    Thanks for your views/suggestions anyway!

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Look for a BIOS upgrade for your machine.

10. Majixlt

Majixlt

perhaps have you tried petitioning down the hard drive into section less then the 75 gb?

11. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

When you purchase a hard drive of say 120GB, you are purchasing a claimed size by the manufacturers marketing department. They use a different formula for drive sizes than windows does. when they say 120GB the use 1000 as the base. What you really need to use is 1024 as the base divisor. they dont do that however and what you end up with is a buch of question like tis one about true disk size.

Then you have to add in the disk overhead when partioning and formatting a disk. So your 120GB drive will actually be somewhat less than that. 114GB is about right for a drive that size. That is why the 40GB drive inmy laptop shows up as a 35.?GB drive. and then 120GB in my desktop shows up as a 114.?GB drive after formatting.

12. bdubslawman

I appreciate the responses but...for example:

Johnwill wrote: ]]]]"Look for a BIOS upgrade for your machine.."[[[[
    I did update the bios, it says it right in my original post

I had written: ]]]]"I found and successfully flashed the latest bios. (ROM date 3/28/02-786K2 Family). I checked the bios and it does see all 120GB. But when I goto partition it, I run into problems."[[[[

Then Maxitlt wrote: ]]]]"perhaps have you tried petitioning down the hard drive into section less then the 75 gb?"[[[[

But I had written: ]]]]"But when I goto partition it, I run into problems. Three methods tried: I tried to use Western Digitals included CD-ROM, even created the DOS boot floppy that they recommended on another system. Doesn't work keeps coming up with an error that something like A:\Auto???.exe not found. I checked the floppy that file is there?? Comes up whether I am booting from the floppy or from the CD-ROM.
    So I tried fdisk from a Windows ME boot disk. Fdisk will only find/or report 24GB. I cleared the partition and tried using the Compaq restore disks but they came up with the same problem."
    [[[[

That is where in the problem lies; the system has a "governor" limiting the size of the hard drive at 75GB. The bios sees and recognizes all 120GB of the hard drive...But something else physically won't let me alter the partionsize to anything other than a maximum of 23.795 GB. I can cut that up into smaller logical drives but the total can't go BEYOND 23.795GB.

Also I have now tried Triple 6's interesting suggestion of using partition magic to try and resize once the image is reinstalled. It was worth a shot but their is no hidden drive on this model and no ability to resize.(Thank You though).

UNFORTUNATELY AS I SAID IN A FOLLOW UP POST: COMPAQ/HP CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPLAINED THAT THE SERIES PRESARIO 7QSM11 HAS A MAXIMUM HARD DRIVE LIMIT OF 75GB.
    I ASKED THEM 4 FOLLOW UP TIMES; WHAT IF ANY WORK AROUND I COULD USE. MY OPTIONS ARE TO USE AN EXTERNAL DRIVE WHICH CAN EXCEED THE 75GB INTERNAL DRIVE BARRIOR (problem is I don't want an exteranl drive), OR TO BUY A NEW MOBO! I asked about a controller card, which can be used as a bypass to a bios limitation. BUT as I have posted now several times, this is not a bios problem... As to what was causing the actual limitation. The support center dodged my question 3 times!

As for dustyjay's post: Yes I understand the binary issue. And I think there should be "truth in advertising" such as in monitors. A 20" CRT must now disclaim that it is 18.9", 19.1" or et cetera "actual viewing size" so should they disclaim that when all is said and done you will see approximately ___GB in Windows once formatted!
    :confused: BUT what does that have to do with my problem or posts? I am not bitchin' cause' I can only see 114GB instead of 120GB. I am pissed because I didn't see or hear or read anything about a 75GB limitation in any of the literature I have read. And so if I were to run this 120GB hard drive I would only see and be able to use 23.79GB!!! PLUS I spent the better part of 4 days now, not to mention the cost of two hard drives trying to FREAKIN INSTALL A SIMPLE HARD DRIVE! And short of buying a new system/mobo, and over spending on a 60GB hard drive, mind you my third hard drive now, I have no other decent options!

THAT IS WHY I AM PISSED! I am sorry for venting, but these vendors like Dell, Compaq/HP, ??? piss me off! Through their short sided-ness, my sister is stuck with a very size limited system. And her literature should have told of a 75GB. It would have saved me a couple of hundred dollars and lots of my time.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Actually I will help you vent even. purchasing a system from a major manufacturer you expect better than you get. If I could buy the parts to build my own laptop affordably I would. I will not buy major off the shelf computers for reasons that you are running into now.

But to be fair, Depending on the age of your sisters sytem, at the time it was manufactured it may have been felt industry wide that 75GB was way more than anyone would ever need. Remember when it was said that 640K of ram was all that anyone would ever need (or did I just confirm that I am an old fart?). At the time this particular system ws designed the hd size limit was probably as good as any of them offered.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Ok, but if the BIOS sees the full 120GB of the drive then the computer does appear to support drives of this size - plus a BIOS with a date of 2002 shouldn't have trouble with a size of 120GB. Now maybe the BIOS code is written badly or it has issues with WD drives. I know Compaq said it won't work but they only read from a simple manual and they are constantly wrong.

For fun have you tried installing Windows without using the Compaq software. Use a plain Windows ME CD and her license number. You will need to use something like the WD software to do a low level format of the drive before installing. If you have trouble with the WD software try Maxtors tools(PowerMax) - they work on WD drives.

If all else fails you can buy one of these to attach the hard drive too: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-102-002&depa=0
    The Compaq software may not work though depending on what kind of hardware checks it makes before installing.

15. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

I have an ultra133 TX2 sitting in my compter desk collecting nothing at all! Just using up space right now. They are great cards. they do have one draw back. you should not connect an optical drive to it if you plan on ever booting from CD. They wont work that way. You want it you pay shipping and handling. you can contact me in email.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/318455