1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario Laptop with ME not booting up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by PB1856, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PB1856

PB1856 Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I am working on a laptop here for a friend and got some serious issues going on with the laptop. He complained about it constantly freezing on him quite frequently. It didn't matter what he was doing or working on. So I am looking at it and it kept freezing on me and I would have to take out the battery to get it to power off. Now after a few times and really doing nothing but cleaning up some temp files, it will not boot up. It will get the Windows ME splash screen, then go to black with the lil blinking cursor at the top left corner like it is ready to complete the boot process. Then it goes completely black and freezes there. You can tell it is just getting stuck at this one point during the POST boot process.

It does however boot up in safe mode with no problems. I restored back to factory defaults using the Recovery Cd it came with and still no luck. I have no idea if drivers are causing the problem or if it is hardware related. I read that people have had problems with the fans, the bottom of the laptop is a lil warm. But not sure if that is normal or not.

I also installed and ran Compaq Diagnostics. However when I began running the series of tests, the laptop started acting strange and then the whole screen become a big mess colored blocks, almost like the video display ran out of memory. This was also done in safe mode

Any suggestions on what may be causing all these problems?

Thanks guys!

Pete

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there PB1856...

I'm sorry to say this, but any time you see this...

It is most definitely the video adapter that is causing the problem...

IMHO it looks like a new motherboard is in order...

3. PB1856

PB1856 Thread Starter

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking.... Oh well.... Thanks for your insight!!

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If it boots up ok in safe mode????????

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice