1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario M2000 Won't Power up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dandeecowboy, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dandeecowboy

dandeecowboy Thread Starter

My son and I have each a Compaq Presario M2000 laptop computer, running Windows XP, 40 GB hard drive, 256 Mg memory, DVD CDRW, they're very nice and for whatever reason his quit working. He said that one day he went to turn on the computer and it wouldn't fire up. I told him to come over to my house and I swapted my battery and still nothing. I then swapped power packs with no fix. I thought it might be a power supply problem or something like that but have not figured out how to open it up without breaking something. Any help would be greatfully appreciated. Chris

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As you have done the correct thing by swapping power packs and batteries, it's certain to be hardware related.

While you are reticent to open it up for fear of breaking something, what would you actually do if you did open it up?

Such problems are seldom visible and would take expert equipment even to diagnose, and most repairs are done by replacement.

Laptops are not generic devices thaough, like desktops, so only original parts will fit.

But you are right to be hesitant, without microsurgery skills breakage is likely, your only hope would be professional repair, but the cost may exceed the value, so tread carefully.

The power supply is mostly in the external adapter, but the rest is integrated with the motherboard as is almost everything else.

Have a look on the HP site, you may find a full service manual.
    Or download one from this link (4.5 MB size), it has full troubleshooting guides and assembly details.
    http://www.lojactis.com.br/ctis/coroot/ctis/DocumentoDeProduto/files/9558_manual_note_ing.pdf

3. dandeecowboy

dandeecowboy Thread Starter

thank you I will check out the site and of course tred safely

4. moz104

moz104

Same thing happened to my M2000 about a week ago. I absolutely need a working laptop, and i was almost positive right off the bat it was either a power supply or motherboard issue, both of which would be too expensive to be worth the investment, so I've already replaced it. Tomorrow I'm going to open it up, get the hard drive out and see if i can get documents off of it, and then crack the case open and see if i can figure out what went wrong. I'll post anything I find when i'm done.

is it weird that i'm really looking forward to busting open my dead computer?

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Hey, if it's broken and valueless, what more harm can you possibly do?

PS. hammers and drills are the wrong implements for laptop surgery.:D

6. moz104

moz104

Don't worry, I always think safety first. I picked up all the proper supplies. Flamethrower, sledgehammer, ice pick....i'm all set!

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    I wanna go to that party!:D

8. moz104

moz104

"Bust My Computer Open 2006" is proceeding a little slower than I'd hoped...didn't have the right size screwdriver before, and now I have too many tests to study for. I'll probably end up doing it during the holidays when I'm not so busy.

9. audio217

audio217

My wife's M2000 did the same thing!
    It's a blown motherboard!!
    I took it to a tech and it is unrepairable (expense)!!!
    I tried to send it back to the factory but a new one off the shelf a V3000 is $399.00 right now.
    HP wanted $298.00 to repair!
    I am not very pleased with HP and instead opted for a new replacement Dell for the best product, service etc.
    I did contact a sight advertised on this site that repairs computer laptops for $139.00 (NO MATTER WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT!!!!) so I'll see if it's for real or not and repost a thread as to there HONESTY!
    I think HP should provide repairs at a reduced rate since they make inferior throw away products!!!
    Maybe we should start a blog about HP Products!
    There be so many complaints that they'll fix ours for free!
    WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!

10. moz104

moz104

"Bust my computer open 2006" was a partial success. I got it completely apart, but i don't see anything visually wrong with it. However, taking it apart was fun, I recommend you do it if you have a busted laptop and you're as much of a loser as i am. Follow the directions though...I can take a desktop apart and put it back together as well as anyone, but laptops are nuts. I practically cracked mine before I turned to the directions. Directions for the M2000 are posted by kiwiguy further up on this page.

The good news is, getting the hard drive out was easy, and when I get to a CompUSA i'll pick up an adapter to hook it up to my regular IDE cable in my desktop. I assume i'll be able to copy my documents off of it. Be careful if you do it, though...there already is an adapter there so it'll fit the laptop, when you take it that one off, pull it straight off and don't bend the pins. I did slightly, i don't think so much that it'll be a problem, but we'll see.

11. ljg17

ljg17

With so many of these on here I think it is a capacitor issue, I have one of these from a client right now dead as a doornail. How much is a replacemnt MB from HP?

12. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Probably close to the price of a new laptop...:rolleyes:

13. kythera1278

kythera1278

(n) I have this same laptop. Got in 1 year ago. It died the first time 2 weeks after I bought - and the store just gave me a new one.
    3 months later, it died just as described, not powering up. In my case it died while I was using it. Shut off unexpectedly, with no warning, no noise... all seemed normal, and then bam! - black screen, nonresponsive computer. It was under warranty, so I sent it to HP and they fixed it. Yup - blown motherboard.
    Jump to the present... it is December 2006, 1 year after I bought the laptop. And yes, it died again - 3 days after the warranty expired. Same problem. Luckily, I got the extended warranty.

But this particular laptop has died THREE TIMES IN ONE YEAR. It's been a hassle every time. And HP's customer service, frankly, has been severely lacking.

So if you are thinking of buying this laptop, I would STRONGLY caution you against it.

14. SEWER

SEWER

Hi from mexico, bought the same laptop in best buy usa, about 16 months ago. Didn't bought the extended warranty, so, my 1 year warranty has expired.
    SInce i bought it, i was wondered with this cheap laptop, added a 512 mb ram module so it ran pretty fast.

After about 16 months, i turned on the power button and did turn un the power led and the hdd led, but nothing more.even the fan dind not power up neither the sound of my 15 months old hdd working while charging the windows xp operating system.
    So scared, but, tried to fix it. here are the tries i 've done without succeeding.

1. -hold powerr button until turning it on again.
    2.- removing battery and removing ac pawer, each one separately and together..
    3.- removing my 512 mb ram module and leaving de 256 mb
    4.- removing my 256 mb ram origiinal module and leaving de 512 mb
    5.- removing my hard disk: there is a change, it just turn on the power led but not the hdd led. Note that by removing the hdd, the laptop should show video signal and enter to the bios procedures ( don't rememeber the certain name.. hell.. !!)
    6.- remove the wireless pci adapter: no change.
    7.- did remove the dvd-cdrw unit without changes.
    8. -at this point , i was so angry so called to hp support and those guys told me just to do steps 2, 3 and 4, and one more new step: while powered off, hold the power button for 30 secs or more... nothing happened..
    9.- obtained a link from the hp support to get the hp's official troubleshooting guide, a nice pdf but its lacking of a good ttroubleshooting manual so i did proceed directly to disasemble all the parts of the laptop. ( i hav some experience disasembling laps.)

pretty pdf , its easy to find it in the web . sorry but don't remember the link.
    10.- so proceeded to disasamble, first, keyboard coverage and dont remember the order but i left the laptop as 'light' as i could, with just the basic components: motherboard, memory, and nothing more... hoping it could give a signal to an external monitor.. but nothing :(

so.. unmountedprocessor, cleaned, cleaned ****ing fan and heatsink, then try again and didnot succeed.
    every piece loooked well, doesn't look burned, nor strange smells, everythings looks well, ok.

at this point, i had no more idea of what to do ( except by having same laptop and replacing each piece :( but im not that affortunated)

11.- reasembled carefully all the laptop and did not succeed.

12. -finally, i resolved to accept some help and went to the generic technician, someone who i trust and who has more knowledge than me, as he saw it he told me that it was a faulty mother board, and that he has in stock 4 more unusable models like mine with the same problem. and that he tried it all without succeeding.

that really disapointed me, so im seriosly thinking about selling by parts my laptop in the mexican ebay ( deremate.com.mx), but before that today i tooked it to a laptop repair guy who i found in deremate.com.mx who was talking about "component level repair laptop"

that means that he fixes the component instead of replacing it.
    If my laptop had a faulty MB (not yet sure), he could fix it by replacing capacitors or damaged circuitery. The advantage is that its more more more cheap than replacing, for example, the whole mother board.

so , im hoping to get it repaired by this guy, if so, will make you know how did it.
    if not, maybe will make 2 or 3 more tries after selling it in parts. ( will return me about 400us.)
    thank you hope youll find it useful.

15. ljg17

ljg17

I saw the same thing on Ebay, where he will repair the laptop MB rather than replace it. That means it is a .39 cent capacitor that is causing the issue and the guy is not going to tell us which one!! HP stuff is great as long as you buy corporate laptops and not the 399.99 presarios, of and also get the 3 years next day service from HP not the store!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!