1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario M2000 won't power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Computermend, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Computermend

Computermend Thread Starter

Compaq Presario M2000 won't power up. I have checked the power supply with a voltage meter and it is working properly. I have tried with and without the battery and it hasn't made a difference.

I followed the Compaq web-site's suggestion of removing the ram and re-inserting it. That hasn't made a difference.

I'm out of ideas! Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

ComputerMend

2. Sponsor

3. spdabbs

spdabbs

First thing to try for all no power issues - remove all peripherals, mains lead & the battery, press and hold the power button for 15sec, release power button, connect up mains only and try powering up. If it comes on, problem solved, if not, try disconnecting the mains and powering up on battery only. If it still doesn't come on there's a fault with the lappy.

4. Computermend

I have tried all of suggestions you gave me. Still nothing! I'm wondering if the DC power connector is faulty. Is it difficult to open the notebook and check?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the battery is charged and it still will not power up, then you have a dead laptop I suspect.

the DC (19v) power input is down.converted by components on the motherboard to 5v, 12v, 3.3v etc. Plus it charges the battery, which also used the down converter to power the laptop.

A failure in the converter section will cause a complete failure to power up.

If you got it apart, there may be nothing "visible", and the real challenge with a laptop is to get it apart, then back together without doing major damage.

You really need the service manual (which may be available on the HP website) but unless you have some microelectronics skills, will you actually be able to diagnose a problem?

6. Computermend

Thank you for your information. Is there a way to charge the battery outside of the notebook?

When I press the I/O button with the battery in the notebook, I see a small flicker of light from the front of the PC. I have come to the conclusion that the battery has lost it's charge and the AC/DC converted is not recharging the battery.

Any suggestions?

7. spdabbs

spdabbs

From the sound of it, it's simply the a/c socket connection to the mobo that has come loose, thus no longer pulling mains power - fairly common issue. You should be able to get that repaired relatively cheaply.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The small flicker is encouraging.

You cannot recharge it outside the laptop, all the charge control circuitry is in the laptop. You could charge it in someone elses laptop of the same model.

If it is the power socket, do not even attempt to use it, as major damage can occur. A lot of current goes through the socket, and a poor connection can destroy the motherboard in short period.

A simple broken connection will not, and should be repairable.

9. Computermend

If it is a broken or damaged ac socket connection, is it fairly easy to repair?

10. AllAccess

AllAccess

New member here......I too had the same problem with a Compaq Presario M2000. I changed out the power socket which is a stock item from HP. It was very easy to disassemble this laptop following the instructions provided by HP. HP Part #394300-001
    DC power extended printed circuit board is available and in stock.

However upon changing out the DC Power board which obviously had a broken pin, the laptop still will not power up. Will a battery that was completely drained be damaged where the system will not work without a new battery? Im about to toss this one but want to be sure Im not missing anyting. Anyone have any new info or success stories to share?

Thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/548390