1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compaq presario memory help..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mopower440, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mopower440

mopower440 Thread Starter

I have an older compaq presario 5000 (5wv260), i want to upgrade the memory in it. I know it takes sdram, 168 pin, but i dont know if i need parity or non-parity. OR ecc or non-ecc... anyone know what this computer takes?
    thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you getonline with the PC
    if so

goto http://www.crucial.com/ and they can scan the PC for the correct memory
    otherwise
    enter the make and model and it will tell you the compatable memory

4. mopower440

mopower440 Thread Starter

Thanks all! One more thing, can i use high density memory in this or does it have to be low density? i read that a lot of computers wont work with the high density, so figured i better ask before i buy. Ive found lots of high density memory sticks cheap.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not sure what your system will support, but its best to buy RAM from a site like Crucial or Kingston which gives you a list of compatible memory and guarantees it should work or they'll take it back/exchange it. Most double-sided sticks will be low density, 32Mx64 or 32x8 will be low density for 256MB.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice