1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario Notebook Reinstall XP Home to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shinding, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shinding

shinding Thread Starter

Alright. Please, somebody help me. This is just plain annoying. I have a Compaq Notebook Presario 2402 US that I got recently. It came preinstalled with XP Home. I wanted to format and instead install XP Pro from a CD that I have already.

Surprise, surprise. The dang laptop won't boot from the XP Pro cd but boots up fine with the recovery XP Home cd that it comes with.

I read somewhere that Compaq and HP block the computer from reading other OS's. Don't know why.

The question is, how do I unlock it?

I don't want to install XP Home and then upgrade to XP Pro.
    Checked Bios. It is the latest version.

Someone please help.

2. shinding

shinding Thread Starter

OK. I reinstalled XP Home. Tried to upgrade to Pro. Won't let me. Stupid.

3. cky

cky

check around in your bios and see if it is unlockable from there if it is not you may be stuck because compaq is a proprietary company and will not let you do much. what you need is a differnet company like ACER or ASUS becaus they do not protect thir stuff.

i used to have a copaq desk pro eventually i had the same problem as you (kind of) and i threw it off my roof (i dont advise this) and then i built a new one (home built) i hope i have helped!

4. behrooz

behrooz

You have to kill disk first using KiLLDisk ( http://www.killdisk.com/ ) that is free software . before installing format the hard Disk completely using the Kill disk Utility. Some time files of the previous Operating system files and Compaq will not allow to install Windows XP professional.

Cheers,
    Behrooz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!