1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario Particulars ???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BearKiller, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

I was not sure just where this question should go so if this is not the right place please feel free to relocate it.

I have THIS desk-top:

Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario CQ2723wPC
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    AMD EI-1200 Accelerated Processor
    Memory = 4GB/G(something I can't make out) DDR
    HardDrive = 500GB/

I am running a PPS PE9 photo effects program that is only working about 50%

I have found the minimum requirements for running this particular program:

Open GL 2.0 capable video card with 256MB dedicated RAM
    Memory 8GB+

How do I find out what kind/size of video card, how much dedicated RAM, and available memory my unit has ?

If my unit is falling short in any of these requirements, is this something I can buy and is it within my abilities to make the necessary improvements ?

I am quite mechanically/electrically adept but I know little about the insides of a computer.

Thanks for reading.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Compaq Presario CQ2723w Desktop PC(H2L89AA) comes with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit and comes with this hardware:
    Pegatron APXD1-DM(Redwood A) motherboard
    AMD E1-1200 APU 1.40 GHz dual core processor which has an average benchmark score of 682
    4 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM
    Intel Radeon HD 7310 graphics which has an average benchmark score of 171
    Realtek ALC662 high definition audio
    Atheros AR8152 10/100 Mbps ethernet
    500 GB SATA hard drive
    Super-multi DVD burner disc drive
    65 watt power supply

If you wanted a desktop that's speedy and has plenty of hardware upgrade options, you couldn't have picked one much worse than this one.
    Its motherboard has no expansion slot for adding a graphics card, so you're stick with its wimpy integrated graphics which uses up to 1961 MB of shared memory.
    Its slow wimpy processor is soldered to the motherboard and not upgradeable to a faster one.
    It has only 4 GB of RAM, but it supports 8 GB, so you do have the option of adding more.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. BearKiller

I appreciate your in depth reply.

Concerning the "average benchmark score", I am assuming this is a comparison rating; what is a perfect score, 1,000 maybe ??

95% of what we use a computer for is working with digital picture images using various photo doctoring programs.

If and when this unit gives up the ghost or I fall into some money, what is your recommendation for a desktop that is speedy and has plenty of hardware upgrade options ?

For that matter, make two recommendations; one for someone with money to burn and one for someone living on a poverty-level Kentucky budget.

Thanks so much for your help.

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Yes it is a comparison rating..... You can see at cpubenchmark.com a good rated CPU would imo be around the 3000-4000 mark for average day use.....high end machines have anywhere from 7500-10000+

I would recommend an i5 with 8gb+ of RAM

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The AMD APU processors are tied in with the computer's integrated graphics and are low-cost models for budget-level computers.
    They're not designed for anything that requires a lot of speed and processing power.

Considering how you use that computer 95% of the time, you need one that has a much faster processor and much higher benchmark score.
    You also need a dedicated graphics card which has a good benchmark score.

If you're living on a "poverty-level Kentucky budget", a refurbished computer with a full-size case and plenty of upgrade options may be right for you.
    I'm partial to Dell tower models and haven't used anything else in several years, so my recommendation is limited.
    If I was interested in buying another refurbished Dell tower with a faster processor and better graphics and more RAM and better power supply and more upgrade options, this would be some examples:

Dell T3500 WorkStation - $334.00
    Its processor has an average benchmark score of 5065.

Dell T5500 WorkStation - $398.00
    Its processor has an average benchmark score of 4458.

Dell T5500 WorkStation - $415.00
    Its processor has an average benchmark score of 4934.

All 3 have the same dedicated graphics card which has an average benchmark score of 1302.

All 3 have a 875 watts power supply.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. BearKiller

Thanks so much for the recommendations; I will definitely consider them when replacement computer time rolls around.

Alas, from the pitiful state of my finances, I hope it is no time soon.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is another one that I would buy in a minute, if I didn't already own 3 of them, but with a dual core processor.

Dell OptiPlex 780 Minitower - $229.99

Its Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz processor has an average benchmark score of 4052.

This is the graphics card that I personally use and would add to it.

EVGA GeForce GT 720 - $47.99

It has 1 GB of dedicated video memory and uses only 19 watts and which has an average benchmark score of 755.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. BearKiller

That is an enticing $100 less money; but, which is better, a Workstation or a Minitower ?

I might just dump the wheat-head penny jar and get that Minitower so the wife and I can quit sharing (fighting over) the one we have.

Do I understand correctly; those are used/refurbished units, right ??

This has been a most informative thread for me.

Thanks.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never owned a refurbished Dell T3500 WorkStation(or any other model), so I can't comment on its reliability and performance.
    They're powerhouse units that are mostly used in a work environment, and many of the off-lease ones are refurbished and resold, so they must be okay.

I love my refurbished Dell OptiPlex 780's and is why I have 3 of them.
    I helped a friend earlier this year buy one for his 28-year old grandson and wife, and they're real happy with it.

I've bought several refurbished Dell OptiPlex desktops(755's and 780's) during the past 5 years, and I have not had to retire any of them.
    The disc drive in one of the 755's had to be replaced, and that's about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. BearKiller

I like the fact that they have Windows 7.

I am very tempted to go ahead and get one while the getting is good.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Good decision. It'll leave that wimpy Compaq Presario in the dust.

--------------------------------------------------------------

12. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    if you want to get rid of that old desktop after you purchase a new one, might I recommend donating it to a school or someone who might benefit from it?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice