1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compaq presario pc

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bikerbabe49201, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bikerbabe49201

bikerbabe49201 Thread Starter

I have a compaq presario. I have 2Gig memory. I changed services from ATT to comcast internet. now my pc needs to be wiped clean and set up again but when I got the computer I did not get the discs. how can I do this without discs> it wont open up the internet even though I am connected.

Please help

2. Sponsor

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You do not need to reinstall Windows to switch from one Internet connection type to another.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

What's the model number of that Compaq Presario?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

Once I have that information, I can determine if there's a recovery disc kit available for it.

If the hard drive needs to be replaced in the future or if the built-in recovery partition(if it has one) becomes damaged or corrupt, you'll need a recovery disc kit to get going again.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Who told you that your computer needs to be wiped clean and Windows reinstalled, just because you switched Internet Service Providers?

If you're having a problem connecting and getting on-line after switching to Comcast, contact their tech support people and let one of them assist you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. bikerbabe49201

bikerbabe49201 Thread Starter

I have a sr5310f running windows vista. I have had comcast tech here and he thought it was a hardware problem, I took it to a computer repair they added 1 gig memory but determined that it was a software problem and that I need to wipe everyting out and reinstall. I bought the computer from rent a center and do not have the discs to reinstall. mycomputer shows that I am connected to the internet but cannot connect to IE or any other browser.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario SR5310F desktop.

Here is the section on doing a system recovery with Windows Vista.

According to its product specifications section, it was manufactured in November 2007, so it's a little over 4 years old.

Here is the HP/Compaq link to order the recovery disc kit for it, but I have doubts that HP/Compaq will still have it available for purchase after 4+ years.

If it doesn't, you can purchase it from here for $27.00 plus shipping.

-------------------------------------------------------

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You do not need additional RAM to change Internet connections. The fact that it worked fine with DSL indicates this is probably a setting in the network connection. I've requested this thread be moved to the Networking forum.

Reinstalling Windows seems rather drastic at this point.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040934