1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario Power Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by javajunkie, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. javajunkie

javajunkie Thread Starter

I have a Presario 4824 and it powers up sometimes and sometimes it don't. I checked all the connections, everything appears fine. I replaced the Cmos battery and still nothing. I did notice it would power up without the battery and when I tried after installing the battery, no power. I would just replace the pc, but we use it at the Battered Women's Shelter to teach them new skills and there is not enough money in the budget to replace it. Any suggestions?

2. Sponsor

3. bonk

bonk Banned

If it has a battery does it do it when you run it just in the battery??

4. javajunkie

It is not a laptop, I meant to say the Cmos battery size 2032.

5. bonk

bonk Banned

first thing I would suspect would be the power supply as you say sometimes it powers up and sometimes not but to be honest with a fault that is intermittent IT will be hard to track down.
    Unplug the PC and take out the memory cards and re-seat them do the same with the video card, make sure everything is plug in tightly. Check the CPU is pushed in all the way but don't force it.
    Plug it back in and see if the lights come on the front panel and the fans spin

Let me know what happens

6. javajunkie

Hey Bonk, I tried everything you said, and still no power. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

7. javajunkie

Also, I left the CMOS battery out while I was running some errands, came back and just decided to plug the system in again and it came up. Weird huh? When I cut if off and put the CMOS battery back it it will not power up. I take the battery back out and it still will not power up. What is up with that? I think it is going to drive me to drink.

8. bonk

bonk Banned

If the is no power at all no lights no fan running like it is dead. Then check the fuse in the plug to the wall,,check that the switch on the back of the PC is in on position.If all these things don't work and it is still dead then most likely it is the power supply(PSU) which are very cheap to but and quite easy to install.

Test these things and let me know the outcome.

9. javajunkie

Hey Bonk, all the things you listed are good. No power. Could there be a short somewhere in the power supply to make it power up sometimes? What does the CMOS battery have to do with it?

10. bonk

bonk Banned

cmos holds system changes you have made. but when you rmove it those changes are erased. It has nothing to do with power if by putting the battery in and taking it out you get power then is it the correct battery???

Try it now take the batery out and try it and put it in and try it unpluggig the PC ofcourse

Let me know the outcome

11. javajunkie

I put a new battery, the exact as came out of the pc, 2032, won't power. I even tried the old battery and no power.

12. bonk

bonk Banned

unless you have a multimeter to test the power to the board then the only thing that you can try is either take the power supply out and have it tested or buy a new one for that PC and replace it.The power supply is at the back of the PC with a fan attached to it inside the case.

As I said power supplies are very cheap but it's your decision as it possibly may not be that.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

I would think that this tends to indicate a power supply problem. Beware that you are not going to be able to just go out and buy any old power supply and use it in the presario. Compac just dont work that way. Compaq is the queen of Propriatray hardware. they say thier systems are atx. and it is true to an extent. But what they dont tell you is that thier atx Motherboard and power supply are custom made and will require parts purhase from Compaq. If you look at a normal average ATX paower supply you will notice that the motherboard power connectors are not the same. And oh by the wya you cn expect to pay a high price for the parts from Compaq.

14. tiffie23

tiffie23

Just went through the same thing with our HP. We would have to leave it switched on at the powerpoint for about an hour until it had enough power to boot up - yep after lots of hassels with the local computer shop.......they replaced everything except the power supply. We took it elsewhere and it was the power supply. We needed a new case and motherboard though in order to connect non-HP/compaq power supply (as genuine parts are smaller than generic - thus the new case).

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

Power supply testers are relatively cheap $10-$12 maybe lower if you shop. I was using both a COOLMAX and an ANTEC tester. I was checking a PSU the other day, the COOLMAX indicated it was good, the ANTEC indicated it was bad. The end result was the PSU was bad. The ANTEC tester puts a 25w load on the PSU that some of the other testers don't. For now on i'm just using the ANTEC until something better comes along.

16. jflan

jflan

Proprietary Power Supply indeed. Go to your local PC Recycyler for a match.

Plug 'em in, listen for fan noise, note dust accumulation, test, etc. It's used, cheap and sometimes lightly used. :)

Regards,
    JF

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401469