1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario R3306US unresponsive on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jherm, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jherm

jherm Thread Starter

Last night, I came home from work and picked up my laptop and set it up to download Sun Solaris 10 so I could burn it on a DVD at work today. This morning, when I woke up, I found my computer was off. I was surprised, but I just figured it was hibernating (I reinstall XP/Linux/Unix on my laptop all the time, and never know the settings). Anyways... I got to work and tried to boot it up. It makes noise when I hit the power button (fan or fans) but NOTHING HAPPENS. So far I've tried

• Booting without the hard drive
    • Booting without the memory in slot 1 (under the keyboard)
    • Booting without the memory in slot 2 (accessible from the bottom of the laptop)
    • Booting with no memory at all
    • Booting with a VGA monitor attached
    • Booting from battery only (no AC)
    • Booting from AC only (no battery)

It should also be noted that the CD-ROM drive has power, will open up when I press the eject button, and I also see hard drive access lights flash a few times at the beginning of the boot process. I haven't been able to closely listen in to see if the hard drive is actually being accessed. The power button and all lights on the computer do not come on. But the fan runs. I'm guessing I have a dead motherboard? I leave this thing on alot, almost 24/7 and I've had it for over 2 years. I was just hoping someone else would have an idea before I throw this thing out the window (obviously I'll salvage the memory, hard drive, cd-rom, maybe even the keyboard and battery (which is almost dead).

Anyone have any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

P.S. I used to work as a Unisys technician, I'm Dell certified and worked on laptops/desktops/workstations Mon-Fri for 2 years, and if you didn't read my post, but just read this part... I'll just say that I'm not an idiot. And you need not explain anything in-depth to me, unless its about breaking out a multimeter to test the board. Which I may resort to, I can't afford a new laptop right now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice