1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario S5000NX No Power Blinking Yellow Light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickib622, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Well, I'm guessing power supply here? When I hit the power button, no fan, nothing, just a slight "clicking" noise and the flashing yellow (some say orange) light. From what I've read it sounds like the power supply went belly up. How do I know: 1) which power supply to get to replace this one, and 2) is it worth it? I bought it second hand for $40 about 1-1/2 years ago so there is no shame in it, just not sure whether I should put any $$ in it at this point. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Nobody has any suggestions?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you spent $40 for the whole computer, I wouldn't put any more money into it. It's very old, and the power supply might not even be the problem.

4. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. That's what I kind of figured (sigh). Where would I go on this site to get advice on purchasing or having a new one built? I only need a tower and would consider a laptop, but I need the ergonomic keyboard. Any thoughts on that one?

5. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Oh - one more thing - how do I get the stuff off of the hard drive?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Desktop computers are a dime a dozen. If a $40 computer met your needs, go to your local big-box store, and pick something up cheap on sale. Assuming the hard drive is still functional, you need to buy an IDE to USB adapter to connect it to another computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189122

If you don't have a regular backup routine, I suggest starting one.

7. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Thanks again. The $40 worked for just personal stuff, but I'm going to start working from home, so I think I need something with a little more muscle. I will check out Staples though - towers only. Thanks.

I actually think I already have one of those cables - this isn't the first time this has happened to me (I know, shame on me . . . ) :rolleyes:

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Work from home doing what? If it's just e-mail and spreadsheets, you still don't need anything powerful. If you need Microsoft Office, that'll add at least $100 to the price.

9. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Medical transcription. I would think I would want Windows 7 (what's the hoopla about the "cloud" - always confuses me!), and definitely MS Word newest version, full program, not just a starter. I've gotten much better at Excel so yes, I would probably want Microsoft Office. It's been years since I worked at home doing transcription so I'm kind of out of the loop on specifics (hardware and software-wise). I can do the work in my sleep, just need to figure out the logistics of equipment. Thank you again for any suggestions. (If I didn't think my head would explode I would take some classes to learn this stuff for myself - lol!).

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

11. nickib622

nickib622 Thread Starter

Great! Thank you. Know anyone who needs an awesome transcriptionist? :) :cool:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1045491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice