1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario SR1103WM PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dking63, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

My landlady's Compaq Presario SR1103WM is acting up and I'm pretty certain it is the PSU going out because the symptoms are the same as my PC had when it's PSU went belly up on me. It starts booting up fine until Windows XP Home starts loading, than it resets. I used a WinXP disk to repair the boot files and MBR with no effect, so we decided to reinstall Windows (been needing to do that anyway). Before doing that though, I was going to try recovering pictures of her grandkids by using a Linux Live CD, and ran into the same problem with it, so that eliminated Windows problems.

To the best of my knowledge, that leaves the PSU (likely) or the memory (possible) as the probable causes. I running Memtest86+ on it tonight to eliminate that cause.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in my diagnosis or if I am missing anything, but if I'm right about the PSU, that brings me to my main problem. I have heard that many Compaq models have proprietary PSUs so that you can't use off-the-shelf parts to replace them and have to buy one from them at a higher price. Is that the case with this model or can I order one from Newegg? I looked up the PC on Compaq's web site, and it didn't even say what PSU it has.

Thank you in advance.

2. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

Memtest86+ has compleated 34 cycles with zero errors. Looks like it is the PSU.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/618986