1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario Start Button problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mygoose, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario SR1879UK and when I pressed the start button on the tower the PC did not come on but the light surrounding the start button flashed continuously. I tried to press the button in to turn it off but nothing happened and the light kept flashing. Eventually I turned the power off at the wall. When I turned it back on the same thing happened. However, when I tried after about an hour turned off at the wall the PC came on as normal. It has done this several times variously coming on and not. Now it will not come on at all and the start button light keeps flashing.

Would be grateful for some help.

Thanks
    mygoose

2. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Do any of the fans spin? Is there a green led lit up on the motherboard? Do you hear any beeps apon powering up?

3. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

There is a small woosh when I first press the button but it stops almost immediately rather the going on to power up as usual. There are no noises at all. I am not sure what the green light on the motherboard is? There is a green light at the top of the tower at the back but that is just the power on button I think. I did notice that the light flashing around the start button (green) continued to flash for a while after I took the mains power off at the wall.

Thanks for help.
    mygoose

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The LED at the back just means the motherboard is receiving power, but that requires almost no power to light up. It sounds like a power supply issue. I had a similar issue with a Dell recently (and many in the past) and removing the CMOS battery for 5 mins and replacing allowed me to boot up the customer computer so you can give that a shot. Did your computer beep before this happened cause it may also be a dead motherboard.

5. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Thanks. No there was no warning at all. I actually thought at first I had just not pressed the start button properly.
    Sorry, what is a CMOS battery please and where is it? I do not know much about this. I left the PC on all the time the last day or so in case this happened again and then I went on auto and turned it off.
    mygoose

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The CMOS battery is located on the motherboard and looks like a big watch battery. Before removing it turn off the power supply and unplug it, then press the case power button to drain any residual power.

7. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't know anything about the motherboard?
    I do not know much about this but it is horrible without my PC.
    mygoose

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario SR1879UK desktop.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

That desktop is about 6-1/2 years old, so you may be having a power button issue or some other hardware issue with it.

You might consider leaving it turned on 24/7 and just turning off the monitor when you're not using it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

9. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Very many thanks for your help.

The first time this happened I just thought I had not presssed the start button properly.

I did leave the PC on 24/7 since the last time it came back on a couple of days ago but then I went on auto and turned it off!!

I do not know much about it and the the problem is how to get the PC to come back on?

I am very grateful for help.
    mygoose

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to Control Panel - Power Options.

Set the power scheme to Always on.

Set all other settings to Never.

Turn off hibernation.

Restart the computer.

-------------------------------------------------------

11. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply but I cannot go to Control Panel etc. as you suggest as the problem is that I cannot get the PC to come back on.

My problem was that when I had pressed the start button on the tower the PC did not come on but the light surrounding the start button flashed continuously. I tried to press the start button in to turn it off but nothing happened and the light kept flashing.

Eventually I turned the power off at the wall. When I turned it back on the same thing happened. However, when I tried about an hour after I turned it off at the wall the PC came on as normal. It has done this several times variously coming on and not. Now it will not come on at all and the start button light keeps flashing.

Be grateful for help.
    mygoose

12. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Can anyone help please?

It really is horrible being without my PC.

Kindest regards
    mygoose

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're having an issue with the power button and it needs to be repaired or replaced, we can't help you with that from here.

I had that issue with an eMachines desktop about 2 years ago and had to repair it.

----------------------------------------------------------

14. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

To find out if it is the switch you can always use a screw driver and jump the power switch pins on the motherboard that the cases power switch plugs into. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, I would take it to a reputable pc shop and get them to do it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6502805_jump-mobo-power-switch.html

15. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Thanks but I really don't know any about the motherboard.

We do not have any PC shops anywhere near here which is a majjor problem.

Thanks for help
    mygoose

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1073990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice