1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario system board hack...is this possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roymus, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roymus

Roymus Thread Starter

I have a Presario 2700 laptop that's no longer functional because the fan apparently has "detached" from the system board, causing the processor to overheat and shut down immediately upon reboot. This is according to the CompUSA technician. According to her, the screw grommets (holes?) have detached or broken, so the screws won't hold the fan in place. She says a new system board would be required, which costs $750. Obviously, this is not worthwhile, but it seems to me that there must be a cheaper way to hold that fan onto the system board (again, this is all assuming what she's telling me is correct...I have no way of knowing as I've never worked on a laptop). My question is: Is there any kind of epoxy resin or other heat-resistant adhesive that could hold that sucker in place enough to function? The CompUSA technician is willing to give it a try, but all she has is Krazy Glue which is no good with heat; I would have to get her the adhesive and she would attempt the hack. I'm willing to give it a try as the machine is now a boat anchor anyway. This is somewhat new territory for me so any guidance would be appreciated...thanks!

Roy

2. McTimson

McTimson

Do you have it open? If so, is there a heatsink under the fan, or does the fan just sit on the CPU itself? If there's a heatsink, then you can just glue it to that, if it's a fan on the CPU, then yea, some kind of adhesive would work well enough, but I would hope that there's a heatsink on it...

3. brianF

brianF

4. rurena

rurena

While glueing the fan to the CPU may be a good idea. That also means the laptop will never come apart. Here is what probably happened to you, the mounts for the fan came ungled from the board. Same thing happened to me. I am going to attempt to jb weld the mounts back to the board. if you don't want to pay for the tech support at the store this is fairly simple to do. jb weld is available at home depot and other fine stores. the CPU is underneath the keyboard. The keyboard is removed by taking the cover plate above the keyboard off. There are two srews on the back of the laptop they would be towards the center top, not the corners. With a small standard screw driver i was able to lift the cover plate off after removing the screws. the keyboard should now lift off. the Heat sink would be the rectangular metal object with 4 holes in it. the screws should be there but you'll find you can lift the fan out without taking them off. Take the fan out, remove the mounts from the screws mix soome jb weld dip the tips in the jb weld and reattach the mounts to the mother board. allow to dry then reattach the heat sink and your computer should now work. Point of interest, it might be easier to glue down the mounst if you have a screw or something to give you more to grab on to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/185763