1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario unknown hardware problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crazyeddie, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crazyeddie

crazyeddie Thread Starter

Customer's Presario was attempting to load into XP home and stopped at screen with mouse pointer that didn't move when mouse was moved. Booted into safe mode. Same thing. Booted to recovery partition. More or less same thing. Finally convinced Compaq tech support to send the recovery cds. It recreated the restore partition and then, IIRC, stalled at the same place when it tried to restore the Windows partition. Finally, I tried to install windows 98, and it stalled out during registry creation.

Somewhere along the line, I started to suspect a hardware issue. :-/

I've checked both the RAM and hard drive and they're clean. A friend has suggested that it might be the mouse's PS2 port and to try turning it off in BIOS and use an USB mouse. I haven't tried that yet - I'm working on another computer.

Does anybody have any other suggestions, or should I start shopping around for a new mobo if that doesn't work?

2. Sponsor

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Is the mouse being detected/allowed external in the BIOS. My Laptop (not the same) has a setting in the bios for external mouse/keyboard.

4. crazyeddie

PS/2 mouse was enabled. I have disabled it and am using a usb mouse. Have attempted recovery cd again - same results. Am currently attempted win98 install.

5. crazyeddie

Oh- recovery cd creates recovery partition, then boots from it. But it stops at a blank screen.

6. crazyeddie

That's what it did last time also.

7. crazyeddie

win98 install has locked up while setting up control panel.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/283961