1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario V5000 Boot problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisOverton, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisOverton

ChrisOverton Thread Starter

Ok, first of all i would like to say hello to all members of TSGF!!
    =D

Ok, to start, the system that im having problems with is a Compaq Presario V5000 (whichis stated in the title). I have done all that I can possibly do to help this thing. I have followed other solutions and im still having the same problem. Here is a list of what I have done:

Reseated the Ram
    Reseated the processor
    Replaced the CMOS battery
    Bought new RAM and used all possible combinations in both RAM modules
    Removed HDD
    Replaced HDD
    Formated HDD
    Bought new battery and AC Adapter
    Reapplied thermal paste to processor

I have done all of the above and the problem still continues to happen. What it does is, I will start the laptop. All the lights will come on, But nothing appears on the screen for about 15 minutes. When the COMPAQ logo finally appears, I go to setup. This is where I will start having problems. I cant really do to much of anything here. The laptop will freeze with a whole bunch of artifacts all over the screen. There is nothing wrong with the HDD, RAM, CPU, LCD, or DVD drive. I dont think its the motherboard. Sometimes it will boot my XP cd and it will begin the installation, then freeze :mad:. I really dont know what to do anymore. Please help me, any attempts will be greatly appreciated.

2. bobell

bobell

I have worked on many V5000s. Good solid machines. Try this:

1. Unplug. Remove the main battery and CMOS battery. Wait 15 minutes. Reinstall the CMOS battery.

2. Remove HDD, DVD, one memory module. Unplug the touch pad (small ribbon conn under KB). Connect AC adapter. Boot to DOS with an external USB floppy. Twist the case gently. Press on the MB. Does the machine work normally? Keep it on for 30 minutes.

If YES, add back the touch pad, memory, DVD and HDD one at a time. Repeat the tests. If the machine dies, yiu have probably found the bad module.

If NO, you most likely have a bad MB. It is much cheaper to replace the MB with a good used one from Ebay than mess with the bad MB. There are several part numbers that will work. Just match your model category -Intel FF or DF and AMD FF or DF. ( FF = Full Featured and DF = Defeatured.)

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice