1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario wont boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cider1967, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cider1967

cider1967 Thread Starter

:(Hi ,
    My machine had a power loss during start up and i cant get it up and running again can someone please help i have many things on the system that i just am so desperate to keep.Current Situation.
    Power up moves in loops of on off after 30 seconds with the following on screen message,
    We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.
    If the computer stopped responding , restarted unexpectidly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose last known good config to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
    If the previous start up was interupted due to a fpower failure or due to a power failure or because the power or re-set button was pressed or if you arnt sure what caused the problem,choose start windows normally.
    Safe Mode

Safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt
    Last known good configaration (The last one that worked)
    Ive tried all of the mentioned above and am still stuck in the loop of on off ect i have a recovery disk(the recovery disc doesnt have a menu and its all i had with the pc) but the prompts for this tell me all my data will be lost should i go ahead so im i in a dire as situation as i can be or can someone truly help me out (the system if windows xp).
    Keeping my fingers crossed guys as all the family vid clips are on there from when the kids were small

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. cider1967

cider1967 Thread Starter

Thanks Dan will try for an xp borrow at work tomorrow.

Thanks again all this in a day when the lads IPOD has given up after on a month .....Its not a good day!

4. Dan O

Dan O

You're welcome and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

6. Dan O

Dan O

Rich-M good idea.

7. cider1967

cider1967 Thread Starter

Thanks Dan/Rich
    I have tried the chck disk route but again seem to be going in circles it has checked 2 options in the H Drive but basically just given me a rundown of bytes and thats it ?? sorry to be dim again!
    Im now trying Dans version however this is not without concern ! After i F8 to agree to the user agreement i get this message. The following list shows existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
    I have options H:partition 1 (Presario_RP) [FAT 32] 6142 MB (2640 FREE)
    C:partition 2 (Unknown) 184629 MB (184629 free)
    And then a number of unknown Disk messages so which one do i choose? logic sorta tells me 6 gig could be my stuff and the C drive is where i should be doing the business? The options are to Set up windows XP ON A SELECTED ITEM or CREATE A PARTITION IN THE UNPARTITIONED SPACE or DELETE A SELECTED PARTITION ??????
    Can you guys help again please?
    Thanks again :confused:

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

No don't go that far. You need to accept the second "R" repair request. The first is for Recovery Console, then setup should say it found another version of Windows there and would you like to repair it choose "R".

9. cider1967

cider1967 Thread Starter

Hi Rich, No joy this is what im starting with,
    Windows setup-
    This portion of the setup program prepares microsoft (R) windows (R) XP to run on your computer.
    . To set up windows xp now,pres ENTER
    . To repair a windows xp installation using recovery console press R
    . To quit setup without installing windows XP press F3

So i went for option 2 as you now say thats wrong there are no other choices so i dont have a second R at present to choose from does this ring any bells or do you just want to ring my neck !!! sorry any ideas? Cheers

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Here is where you push # 1 or enter then setup goes further and then asks if you want to install new or repair Windows and you choose "R" then.

11. cider1967

cider1967 Thread Starter

Thanks Rich one final attempt and then i will give up and leave you alone!
    When entering i have this partition page issue that comes up similar to the one above,It says,after licence agreement,
    H:partition 1 (Presario_RP) [FAT 32] 6142 MB (2640 FREE)
    C:partition 2 (Unknown) 184629 MB (184629 free)
    And then a number of unknown Disk messages so which one do i choose as there seems that i need to choose one to set up or repair on so should i go for Partition 2 on c:? and then perhaps the Repair option will come up again or have i lost the plot?? ive exhausted every other option and cant see what else there could be....

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

That is past where the repair option is offered and what it's telling us is your Windows is blown and you need to reformat and install fresh Windows. You have a Recovery Partition which will restore windows and I would do it and then replace the hard drive as you can copy drive to drive to a new hard drive as long as you have Windows on the drive. The only other choice would be to buy restore disk from HP/Compaq which you can do at www.hp.com, support, downloads and you will see how to do that right in where drivers are listed for your pc.
    To access Recovery Partition, tap F10 continuously after pressing the power button until you see the option to use recovery partition to install Windows.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice