1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario X1000 (DK454AV) BIOS corrupted – no boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eleckliter, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eleckliter

eleckliter Thread Starter

I went to change the boot sequence to boot from my integrated DVD so I could reload my OS. After making the change I attempted to save the BIOS settings but the system locked up during the process. Now no boot, no screen, no effect when trying to get back into the BIOS. How do I (can I) clear the BIOS?

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

There should be a Clear CMOS jumper located on the motherboard and might be marked as such or you can refer to the manual - should be one on the Compaq site.

You can also try popping out the coin shaped CMOS battery for a few seconds or minutes, that generally works too.

Edit: oh its a laptop.

First step is to unplug the AC power, remove the normal laptop battery, press and hold down the power button for a few seconds, then put the battery back in and plug it back in power and try turning it on again.

OK see here for how to clear the CMOS: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...58789/loc:3&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=331682

You may need the dis-assembly guide too: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00072544/c00072544.pdf

4. eleckliter

The first link you provided is to a notebook based on an AMD CPU and NVIDIA chipset. Mine is Intel CPU and chipset based.

The second link 404s because of the ... in the middle of the URL. In any case, I found the maint manual on the HP site and found the loaction of the CMOS battery. I removed it, waited, and put it back, but still no screen. If I decide to pursue this further I will replace the battery and possibly the ODD.

Done.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Both links work for me. The ... only show because the forum shortens them for displaying, don't try to copy them but click on them.

I don't think replacing the CMOS battery is going to help, it should work with a dead CMOS battery except complain about it. Definitely don't replace the ODD until it boots again. Try reseating the RAM, or remove the RAM, battery, and AC and hold the power button, then replace them and power on. Also try without the laptop battery just AC.

6. eleckliter

Again, the first link was to an AMD-based unit. Mine is Intel-based.

In any case the manual (second link) showed me where the CMOS battery is. Removed, waited, and reinserted - no screen.

The ODD keeps trying to read the media (bootable) but no screen. I know of no reason that would cause me to get no screen, the drive just would not respond.

Tried all your latest suggestions, no screen.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

BIOS corruption, memory, motherboard, LCD issue, or any other computer computer could cause POST to fail. You could try using an external monitor to see if it displays on it. You could also remove the ODD and HDD and even a second stick of RAM to see if that yields any results.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914149