1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq prosignia 300

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by trackrod, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trackrod

trackrod Thread Starter

Here's an old but (to me) a very desirable machine that I've had for a couple of years. In theory, I can add memory up 208 megs. (I think) Currently it has 16 megs!
    I've been told that the required memory is FPM - (whch I've bought) but the machine fails to recognize any changes. (I've even stuck in EDO memory) with the hope that something would "wake up" but it does'nt. I'm beginng to think the board is faulty but, before I bin the whole thing, can anyone offer any advice regarding increasing the memory????

2. flyeater

flyeater

Download & run Belarc Advisor from here :Belarc Advisor .
    Copy the motherboard/mainboard info into this thread as well as the memory info.

3. TOGG

TOGG

trackrod,

If Belarc Advisor doesn't do the trick, take a look at AIDA32 here;
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

It does the same thing as Belarc but in much greater detail. If your comp and its components are really old it may not have much info, although it does have details of over 20000 components in its database.

If you do decide to try it, it might be a good idea to get the December 2002 version rather than one of the later 'preview' versions.

4. trackrod

trackrod Thread Starter

Thanks Guys - I had Belarc until recently (on this machine not the Prosignia) when I changed it in favour of Aida 32. I'll transfer it over to the Compaq and see what it comes up with -and let you know.

5. trackrod

trackrod Thread Starter

Not a lot of info, but Aida 32 did identify the existing memory (16Megs) as being 2 x 8 EDO - not fpm. (all on-line ref's to the Prosignia 300 Server refers to the memory as being fpm).
    The Aida32 that I have is the latest "preview" version and (as TOGG says,) it dosen't recognise the Mother board. Will try and get hold of an eralier version. (It did suggest that with only 16M of memory performance may be affected !!)
    I'm still a little confused in that I did at one stage, fit EDO ram (sheer frustration!) but when it booted it only showed the 16M memory - which it does no matter what type of ram I put in.
    I'll try it again though, just to confirm.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice