1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Quick Restore CD wont Boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eighty, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eighty

eighty Thread Starter

I own a Compaq Presario running XP. After an infection I had it repaired at a shop. :mad: Everything worked fine at first then i discovered problems after problems. :confused: I would like to restore my system to is factory condition. :) But my quick restore cd will not boot it stays at a black screen. Ive done some research and believe the original repair may have deleted my d:\sys_sav partition. I understand this is essential. So how can i restore the partition so my disks will work.

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. fren

fren

hello,

Put in your Windows CD in the CDROM and restart.
    Go to bios and set it to default settings.

or

Manually run your Windows CD. Click on "autorun" file in the CD.

fren

4. eighty

eighty Thread Starter

I would like to restore it to its factory state with the quick restore disks. My d:\system_sav partition is missing. I have new disks and the windows cd does not help me. Im very frustrated. I've used the quick restore disks in the past with no problems but as it cannot find the d:\sys_sav it wont boot this time. How can I put the d:partition back in my system so the disks will no what to read?

5. fren

fren

D:\System_Sav is hidden. You can find it at C:\root directory. Configure the setting to show and view all hidden folders and system files and you'll find it. System_Sav contains drivers and some files for your Display Video, Sound Card, Modem, and so on...

Go over here and explore. Select a task and enter your pc model.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

Hope this link will help you a lot....

6. eighty

eighty Thread Starter

Thanks for trying. But Im still in the same boat. I have new quick restore disks. I follow the directions and boot the system on with cd 1 in the rom. I should receive a blue screen with directions instead i get a black screen with a white bar flashing in the left corner and cant do anything but shutdown and boot without the disk loaded. I would like to try avoiding a reformat and let the disks do the work. Am i out of luck. Whats next.

7. mike5532g

mike5532g

Try this:

1. Insert the first Quick Restore CD.
    2. Turn the computer on and hit the Num Lock key so that the Num Lock light is on.
    3. When the flashing Quick Restore screen comes up, hit the Caps Lock key.
    4. When the Quick Restore screen stops flashing, hit the Num Lock key.
    5. A menu should come up saying ''Choose this line for English.'' Press Enter.
    6. At the next screen, press Ctrl + Q, then press Enter.
    7. A list of config codes should appear on the screen. Choose the appropriate code for the computer. For information on which code goes to which computer, refer to the list under "More information."
    8. Hit Enter at each of the screens that come up and let the Quickrestore run through its normal procedures. It will install Windows with the Compaq customizations and the Compaq bundled software.

8. eighty

eighty Thread Starter

Awesome!! Thank you very much! This is exactly what i was looking for. Ill try it out and let you know the end result. Thanks again.

9. eighty

eighty Thread Starter

OK! I've taken the advice only nothing is happening. I inserted my old set and new set of Quick Restore CD's. Held num lk button at logo screen. I get an instant screen flash then nothing, still black. The systems fan sound kicks in then stops after awhile. Stumped :confused: Should I throw in the towel :( and deal with a bug filled system or is there antoher way to factory restore? Help I'm Desperate.

10. mike5532g

mike5532g

If you have set the cd drive to boot first in the bios and your still having a problem, I suggest you contact Compaqs email support.

Desktops & Workstations

11. fren

fren

Hello eighty,

Has the "Compaq" logo appeared on the screen?

Have you tried to set the bios to default settings?

Reset the pc to its default Bios settings:

a. Start your pc & at the red compaq screen logo tap F10 every other second. You'll access the Bios Setup Menu.
    b. Select English for language.
    c. Look under "Main" and select "Set to Default & Exit" (Press Enter and F10 to accept)

Then reboot back into windows.

Insert your Quick Restore CD #1, shut down your pc and wait for 10 sec. Now, turn your pc on and follow the above procedure w/c coming from mike5532g.

12. eighty

eighty Thread Starter

Yes, the Logo appears & the bios is on default. After much consulting I think an FDISK reformat is my only answer. I only have one system so I 'll have to live with it.
    Thank you for the help.

13. fren

fren

Hello eighty,

Please check the ff:

Is the CDROM drive working properly?

No pop up error appears on the screen...

Be sure the first boot is CDROM. Try to check this in the Bios.

Before anything else, if your system has an option to make a Quick Restore Emergency Recovery Diskette, create now. I'm not certain but check this also (if any). It can be used in case no option to boot to CDROM is available in the Bios.

1. Double click the Presario Support icon on the Desktop.
    2. Double click the Quick Restore icon
    3. Click System Utilities
    4. Insert a blank, formatted diskette in the diskette drive.
    5. Click Recovery Diskette to create the diskette

Temporarily remove and disconnect all external devices, especially the secondary hard disk drive (if any). Only the mouse, keyboard, and the monitor should be attached, otherwise the Restore process won't work properly.

Try this first:

Boot the computer with Quick Restore CD 1 in the CDROM drive. As the computer boots make sure that the Num Lock is enabled on boot (there will be a light next to Num Lock key indicator). As the computer boots to the first screen of the Quick Restore, Compaq QuickRestore will be flashing on the screen. When you see the screen press the Caps Lock key one time. As the process proceeds the Compaq QuickRestore screen will stop flashing. At this time press the Num Lock key.
    The screen will then move on to ask you what language to choose, select English and press enter.
    Next you will see the Welcome screen to Compaq QuickRestore. When this screen is displayed, press CTRL+Q. There will be slight difference in the screen.
    If done correctly you will see a (Q) next to "Compaq QuickRestore". If the (Q) is displayed, proceed with the quick restore and press enter. If not, repeat the first procedure.
    The next step is to select the correct Configuration Code for the model computer in which the QuickRestore is being run on. Once selected press enter.
    QuickRestore will then proceed to copy the image and setup files to the hard drive. The QuickRestore compromises of a 2 or 3cd set. QuickRestore will ask for each CD in order.
    At this point the QuickRestore is asking for the first CD again. Please reinsert the first quick restore cd.
    After the process of copying the information from the CD's has ended, Windows XP Home Setup will begin.
    Finally, after all software and drivers have been installed, QuickRestore will ask you to power cycle the machine. Restart the computer and then it should boot in Windows XP.

If the above process did not work, Use the QR Emergency Recovery Diskette(if any):

Turn the computer off and make sure that the Recovery Diskette is in the diskette drive, allowing it to boot from the diskette. Follow the prompts to restore from the D: drive.

When the Compaq Logo appears, turn on Cap Locks (Do this by pressing the Caps Lock key above the left shift key)
    You will be prompted with "Choose this line for English", press Enter
    Welcome to Compaq Quick Restore, press ENTER
    You will see a message that says "Compaq Quick Restore", press Enter
    You will then get a message "Rebooting...please wait"
    The Compaq Logo will reappear do not turn on Cap Locks this time
    Follow the onscreen instructions.

If the problem still persists, there will be a hardware failure. I think you need to Keep checking the CDROM drive thoroughly. It's possible the CDROM is not functioning correctly.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice