1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compaq touchpad causes games to crash?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Liberator, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Liberator

Liberator Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am having problems with games on my Compaq Presario 721. It's an AMD Duron 1.2 with 256 RAM and 16 MB Video RAM (shared), running Direct X 8.1 and Microsoft XP Home edition.. The problem seems to be with the mouse pointer (Synaptics Touchpad) in games - it repeatedly hangs, and can only be freed up by going into hibernation mode and back out again. Often the computer just crashes altogether. The main offender is Fallout Tactics - I can hardly get anywhere at all with this game. I also had problems with Championship Manager. Can anybody suggest whether this is a Windows problem, a software problem, or a Compaq problem, and how I might fix it? Many thanks! :confused:

2. ratchet

ratchet

Liberator,
    Welcome to TSG.
    Since you have only mentioned problems while gaming I'm going to suggest you start HERE .
    I would look into the Directx trouble shooting, installation process and downlad patches. Of course one a time, testing after each.

If this does not fix it you could check
    Synaptics to see if you first have a true Synaptics screen, then make sure you have the latest driver.

3. Liberator

Liberator Thread Starter

Many thanks for your helpful reply, Ratchet.

I had tried the game patches to no effect, and Direct X troubleshooter reports no problems. I took the game back to the store in the end, and told them the problem. They said that a lot of older games had problems on systems running Windows XP -some worked fine, some crashed repeatedly. He said the problems were worse for laptop users, and that game designers don't provide patches for olderr games to update for Windows XP. Anyway, since other games I have, like Half Life, work fine, and the touchpad works fine elsewhere, I suspect that's the problem. Blame XP:)
    Thank you, though, for responding - the synaptics page was particularly useful.

4. ratchet

ratchet

Liberator,

Thank you for letting me know how this problem came out.
    Not a happy ending, but an ending.
    I really don't understand the laptop theory? It has the same components and programs and files as a desktop.
    The one exception might be the touch screen.

If you where able to return the games, all is well, if not, you might inquire about future patches.

Any whoo, Thanks again.

5. Liberator

Liberator Thread Starter

Ratchet,

No, I don't get the laptop theory, either. After all, they sell laptops now as desktop replacements.
    There's a further twist. I swapped Fallout for Shogun, with the same result, only this time I got a total system crash. I was on the verge of bringing the computer itself back to the store. In the end, though, they insisted it was a software compatability error, not a hardware problem. Older games are not patched for XP, it seems. Which makes me ask: why not? These games are still on sale, and other users must be having problems (unless I'm cursed). If software companies are still hoping to make money from older games, isn't it only right they should support them?
    Anyway - don't expect a reply, I'm just musing. But thanks again for your help.

Cheers
    Liberator

6. Liberator

Liberator Thread Starter

Further -

I just checked a fan site for Shogun. This is from Erado's site (http://erado.totalwar.org) This is what I found:

The developers of the game have stated clearly that laptops are not supported. Not surprising, because hardware in laptops is very often configured in ways that divert very far from the common 'standards'. I have one suggestion however that might just help you, If your laptop is equipped with an ATI RAGE Mobility chipset you may get it to work.
    The ATI RAGE Mobility chipset is used very often in modern laptops. It is very suitable and delivers quite a good performance. It has a few enhanced features which are pretty good, but unfortunately they are usually the cause of crashes in Shogun. Especially the way in which ATI provides to displays for your laptop is very nice, but it confuses directx. It probably can't figure out on which display to put Shogun, so Shogun crashes. Bummer!

Some laptop manufacturers however allow you the option to turn off the ATI Enhanced Features. Check this, turn them off if you can and try the game again.

Another way to get Shogun to run on these laptops is to use a completely unofficial (and therefore not supported at al!!!) set of drivers, made by Rage LT MAN. He has compiled a set of drivers that are rated excellent by a lot of people, and have enabled quite a few people to even run Shogun on their laptops. Again, these drivers will never be supported by ATI or by your laptop manufacturer, but they really seem to work very well, not only for Shogun, but also for other games.

The bad news is, that these unofficial drivers will no longer be developed further, and on their website they are no longer available. The latest driver is available in my downloads section.

If this doesn't help you, the only way to play Shogun is to disable Direct Draw. This will not allow you to run Shogun as well as it can, but at least you will get it to run at all! To learn how to disable Direct Draw, check the 'Known Issues' section or the Site Guide.

This explains the laptop issue, and the reason for crashes. This may be of use to other gamers with laptops!

Cheers
    Liberator

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/92529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice