1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq volume lost

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bluearies64, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluearies64

bluearies64 Thread Starter

I have just done a clean install of Windows 98SE to a Compaq presario 4850. The sound board is built onto the motherboard and the system came with a dvd-rom drive. I have added a cd-burner and exchanged the hard drive from 6.5GB to 8.5GB to the original configuration. The problem I am having is that the volume control keeps sliding to the bottom, whenever I try to adjust it, and the sound is barely audible. I went to the Compaq tech support site and downloaded a patch, but it did not work. I have sent a few email messages to their site as well, but everything they suggested failed to rectify the problem. The last message I receive from them stated that I needed to use the restoration cd to install the original sound card program, but I don't have that cd. Can anyone help?

2. Dan O

Dan O

Here's two options:

1. Each time you run AGWPE after a Windows boot/reboot, re-configure the Volume Control Recording Control properties (all the steps in 'B' above) and re-select Line In.

2. Or do what I did -- use a utility program that, on startup, automatically sets the Volume Control settings the way you want them. I used a small (260 kb) freeware utility called QuickMix to do this. You can download the program from the Quick Mix web site: http://www.msaxon.com/quickmix/index.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice