1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq woes...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by clairenaisbitt, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clairenaisbitt

clairenaisbitt Thread Starter

Compaq Presario SR1000, running xp home

I hope someone on here can help me, because I've exhausted all of my limited technical knowledge..

My friend's pc was running really slow and was full of adware etc etc, so I decided in my wisdom that the best thing to do would be to back up what he needed, then reformat the pc and reinstall windows. So I duly did so, deleting recovery partitions with reckless abandon, and reinstalled windows off my own cd, as he did not have any of the original compaq disks.

Unfortunately, the pc now crashes after a short amount of time. Having done some research on the net (hindsight being a wonderful thing) I discovered that Compaq is not a system that like me doing what I did. I assume something in the bios is causing problems, but cannot of course get into it to investigate. Not that I'm sure I'd be able to fix it if I could.

I've tried re-installing windows, in case the installation was the problem. I tried re-setting the bios by removing the battery. I went in in safe mode and took some screen shots of the error log, but haven't been able to find anyone who can make sense of it.

In short I fear I have made a doorstop out of my friends pc, which will needless to say be very unpopular when/if I have to admit it to him!

Below is the link to the error logs:

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37336&l=72a34&id=503848701

Any help would be so so greatly appreciated..

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you use a retail version of Windows XP? Or was it a disk that came with and is branded for a different make and model computer?

I've never heard of any particular brand of computer "not liking" to be reformatted. A hard drive is a hard drive. Wiping the contents is irrelevant to the components it's made of.

If it's not the Windows XP disk, I'd suspect some type of hardware problem which wouldn't have been caused by formatting either.

3. clairenaisbitt

clairenaisbitt Thread Starter

I used a full retail version of xp, deleted everything on the hd including recovery partitions, then reinstalled. I would have thought that this would simply work, but no.

I really don't think it's a hardware problem, as the whole thing was working fine before I got at it.

I just don't get it, I've reformatted and reinstalled windows a squillion times, and I've never come accross this.

Compaq limit what you can get at in the bios, different to standard ssytems, and I am told that they also put specific instructions in the bios. I'm worried I'm conflicting with it in some way with the new install, but I really don't know. I'm pretty much at the outer limits of my computer knowledge once you involve the bios!

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The only ideas I have are a hardware problem or a bad Windows XP disk. The BIOS wouldn't have anything to do with multiple errors in Windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice