1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq's HD format

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Justa Niceguy, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Justa Niceguy

Justa Niceguy Thread Starter

On a mission of mercy in an attempt to help my sister install a second Hd in her 866mhz Compaq Presario, I ran into a problem. (First, I have built computers and I have done this type of thing many times in the past.) In attempting to install the second slave HD, I first formatted it when it was installed in another computer, making at least ten logical partitions. When I tried to install this in the Compaq, the HD could not be read. The jumpers were properly set. I assume that Compaq uses a chip on it's motherboard to convert proprietory "Compaq formatting" to and from DOS. This would explain why the new 120 G HD works in other computers and does not show up in the bios of the Compaq and cannot be used. I'll return to my family and attempt to solve this problem when I take a trip out of state to see them in a month. Does anyone know how to format the HD in "Compaq format" so that it can be used? Thanks,

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what size is the other drive in the PC - it may just be an old motherboard that does not support large drives - without a bios upgrade if available

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I wonder what would happen if you formatted it in the Compaq.

10 Partitions :eek: .... Have you heard of Folders :D
    They're a lot more efficient usage of HD space.

4. Justa Niceguy

I'll get that info. and post it tomorrow. (The computer is in another state) However, I have not experienced the sort of bios trouble you suspect with a computer as "new" as a 866mhz.

5. Justa Niceguy

The product I use to format and partition hard drives is Partition Magic. It can format a hard drive in fat16 or32 or NTFS or for Linux. Where the HD is formatted is not going to affect my situation. My assumption is that Compaq has developed a formatting that is not one of the four choices above. It is, I suspect, a proprietory Compaq format. This forces a Compaq owner to buy their HD's from Compaq at twice (or more) the cost of the neighborhood computer store. Hewlett Packard has done the same thing in the past. The question is: Does anyone have that Compaq format so that it can be duplicated allowing the perfectly good HD's sold locally to be substituted for Compaq's higher priced alternative? Also, folders would work fine if the OS uses NTFS formatting. But if you use Fat32, then folders would waste a ton of space on a large HD. People often use Fat32 in order to access tons of older files, developed before the NTFS OS'es became standard. They can be simply copied and opened, edited and saved without being forced into a great deal of work resaving for every file into NTFS.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this Compaq running Windows XP ???

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice