1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compare my graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by westiemom, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

I got a new PC for Christmas (emachines W3506) and the graphics card that came with it is built onto the mother board and a ATI Radeon Xpress 200. I have the card from my old pc which is actually a card Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400...which one is better? I am not a gamer. I surf the web, emails, view pictures...you know the basic. Would I gain anything by installing my old card? I am running XP home but with being a new PC am able to the Vista upgrade but not sure if I am ready for the change with getting new drivers for everything.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Not a whole lot, really. You have 512 MB of Ram, so you should have plenty of resources left for the rest of the machine.

The specs are pretty detail-less on the website, so I don't even know if you have the proper slot in which to install that card. Oops--just noticed that you have a PCIexpress 16 slot...But I'm pretty sure the that MX 400 will be AGP, which won't work in your system. I think, however, for what you're doing with the machine, the onboard video should serve your needs nicely.

Here's a link to your machine to bookmark. You can find drivers and information there in the future: http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=W-Series&model=W3506

Regarding Vista, I would definitely wait for a Service Pack to come out. That should have extended driver support. If you haven't messed with an incompatible driver (which can stop your system from even booting), I'd suggest you wait a while. There's no hurry...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice