1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comparison of video player software

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Gomar, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gomar

Gomar Thread Starter

First Name:
    Gomar
  2. Bailifeifei

Bailifeifei

My first and only choice for a media player. Plays multiple formats.
    But there seems to be some problems on Dell laptop(one of my friends'). Dell blames speaker failure on VLC.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I can't see why any speaker failure should be VLCs fault since it does not communicate directly with them. That is what sound cards are for.
    It may be that the default volume is high, but that should not damage the speakers unless you left it like that for a while.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Matter of personal preference.

It largely boils down to what features/options you want/need. Or in my case, the user interface and setup options. I currently use MPC-HC after testing many of the players on that list. I still have VLC installed as it's usually good at playing partial, corrupt, or troublesome files.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I use Cyberlink Power DVD 12 personally. While not normally Free, it came as the one piece of Bloatware I did not uninstall on this laptop when I bought it. My first choice before that was Windows Media layer but that is no longer an option with Win 10. I also have VLC as my second choice.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    With out getting into the Hardware Video Streaming solutions, but rather the Media Player software for computers, I say stick with VLC It works well no matter which Flavor of Windows you have, and it is free. I can't speak for other OS's I don't use Apple hardware and never got interested in Linux enough.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I use it in Windows AND Linux.

VLC stands for Video Lan Client and is (in principle) a tool to turn an input stream into an output stream. Those streams are read and written by plug-ins many of which are built into the package.

The idea is that if anyone should come up with a new format of data stream, they need only create the interface for the new stream and it can be transformed into any of the existing formats.

The most commonly used output stream is to a graphics card for viewing and the most common input is a file stream.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1154025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice