1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatability of XP applications in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Lorenina, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorenina

Lorenina Thread Starter

Is there an online check to see whether or not my existing applications installed on my XP will work in Vista?

Before I switch to Vista, I would like to get an idea of the work and cost involved with my current applications/software. I understand that many applications will no longer function.

I know that Microsoft had a site which would perform this check but it no longer exists.

Any thoughts?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are far too many apps out there for anyone to create a list. Check with the manufacturers to see if their versions are Vista-compatible.

But I think you will find that the vast majority of apps will work fine under Vista. Vista also has an XP compatibility mode accessible by context menu for both installers and shortcuts after installation. I have successfully moved 90% of my 420 installed XP apps to Vista and all but 2 work just fine (Startup Control Panel and Startup Delayer did not work fully). Some refused to install, and one didn't have all features because DirectX 10 didn't exist when it was produced.

The most problematic apps will be those that require driver-level components and you should definitely look for updates for those (like antivirus, firewalls, etc.).

Some few apps required a single XP dll that did not exist in Vista but worked fine after it was supplied.

It's very unlikely that you will be left stranded without your favorite program, but you can always try a dual-boot until you are satisfied. There will be compatibility updates to Vista, too, as problems appear.

If you list specific apps that you are wondering about, our posters may give you a "yes" or "no" on them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice