1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatibility check

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ecto, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    In Stock
    Mail-in Rebate
    $134.99

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
    In Stock
    $134.99

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail
    Out Of Stock
    ETA: 2/2/2007 10:59:00 AM
    Mail-in Rebate
    Auto notify Auto-Notify
    $129.99

1 Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
    Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
    In Stock
    $316.00

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail
    In Stock
    Mail-in Rebate
    $262.00

MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive - OEM
    Out Of Stock
    ETA: 2/5/2007 11:14:00 AM
    Auto notify Auto-Notify
    $6.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JSRTL 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail
    In Stock
    $113.99

Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
    Return Policy: [LCD] Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
    In Stock
    $184.99

Pioneer 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Read Black ATAPI Model
    In Stock $28.99

D-Link DWL-G510 32-bit PCI High Speed Wireless Adapter - Retail
    Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
    In Stock
    $29.99
    SAPPHIRE 100186L Radeon X1950XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 VIVO HDCP Video Card - Retail
    $229.99

Subtotal: $1,573

Add $30 for shipping; then I have $100+in mail-in-rebates. I will buy an OS through family (Microsoft employee).

I believe this is vista ready, can you confirm that?
    Are all the parts compatible, are there any problems you think I will face because of my selection?
    Will my rig play my Video card well?

Thanks guys, this is a final check. I plan on ordering it all 2/5/07, once my last two parts are in stock.

2. twizzie

twizzie

hey there again, don't mean to annoy the hell out of you, but remember to get (if you want off course) the Retail version for the DVD-DRive, cuz that comes with nessescary wires and also extra software. Also, I beleive u can get a 320gb for 90 bucks

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

it's vista ready for sure. I don't see any problems with any of the hardware you chose. Not a bad system at all. That motherboard is a nice price.

I only have one suggestion. It's the motherboard, you are getting a ATI video card. I would go with one that has a different chipset than nvidia's 650i. What you have will work. In order to upgrade in the future to SLI or crossfire you are going to either get a new motherboard or two new nvidia cards. That's the only problem I see.

4. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

I was told by a guy who my dad knows that builds computers that the CD-drive is great, and the hard drive is good quality (not to change). But thanks.

And Thats what I wasn't sure about. I plan on getting a DirectX10 card in a few years once the price has gone down, so I just need a good card to tie me over (one that can play all the current games, and ones coming out in the next year or two). If you have any recommendation on a different card thats $250 or less, I'll go for it. I'd rather not change the Mobo, since its what I based my parts off of, and I don't want to change anything else. I've also heard its great quality!

Any last suggestions or answers to my above inquiries? Thanks!

5. twizzie

twizzie

ok, no problem, but make sure u got the goods my freind, like Nero, and DVD-Shrink, both of them come free, well at least dvd-shrink does, and the previous version of nero comes free, or under 10 bucks, so if i don't get to talk later, best of luck on ur first build, and hope everything goes thru smooth

6. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Then what you have will work. The only problem is the SLI and Crossfire thing. If you just want to wait until you can get a better video card, what you have picked out now will play any game that comes out in a year. When Crysis comes out then it's time for a change. By then nvidia and ATI will have mid level DX10 cards on the market. Since you have a nvidia motherboard it is optimized for nvidia geforce video cards. ATI cards will work you just won't be using up all the potential of the board. The purpose of nvidia getting into the motherboard game was to have optimal performance with the video card and the motherboard.

7. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Great then. I will order my system as soon as I can, then take my time reading the manuals and building my rig.

In a year or two I will buy a nice DirectX10 card, because my mobo and everything else should be able to handle it. Eventually I'll get a new processor, but I shouldn't need one for a long time.

Any last tips?

8. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

No you said it. Take your time and read and understand the directions and you'll be in love with your new system.

I can tell you this. I made this mistake. It was really the only one I made because I didn't understand it. I didn't understand what DRAM settings I should be running. That is the RAM speed and settings. Your RAM will only run as fast as your system bus. Yours will be 1066 stock with no overclocking. That means set your RAM to run at 1:1 ratio if you have to change the straps to fool the motherboard, you want your RAM speed to be as close to a 1:1 ratio as possible. That means the RAM and the CPU work at the same speed. When you start to get into the different ratios it throws off the system's stability. Overclocking RAM is a million times harder than overclocking the CPU. The RAM you picked out is extremely fast and you really don't need to overclock it anyway. I bought a bios optimization book on amazon to help me understand it. It was only $22 I highly recommend reading it. http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Through-BIOS-Barrier-Optimization/dp/0131455362

9. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I might EVENTUALLY buy the book, or look more in depth on this kind of stuff, but I really don't want to worry about overclocking or anything at this time. I just want optimum performance out of my stock computer. Im looking forward to great graphics and enjoying many new games I couldn't play before. I might eventually learn how to overclock, but i feel if I learn how to, I'll want to more, and I might mess it up.

As long as its all compatible, I can play top games on high settings, I can use vista, and I can later buy a Nice directX10 card, I'll be HAPPY!

10. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Even if your not overclocking you want the ratio to be 1:1. I followed Maximum PC's settings when my board came out and I could never get it stable. I did some research on memory since I suspected that to be the problem and low and behold. I had my settings to run at my RAM's speed and that was wrong. For example. I saw these settings in my BIOS. 400, 533 and 600. My RAM is 667. I saw Maximum PC set theirs to 5:3 ratio at 533 to get the RAM speed of 667. I had random reboots in games. Sometimes I could play all nite other times I would reboot a couple times before I got into a session. Some programs liked to crash. I read that book set my RAM to 400 1:1 and wala the most rock stable system I've ever used. After I saw that was the problem I fooled the Motherboard to strap at 1066 FSB and got it to run at 533, 1:1. I am upgrading my motherboard and processor to something really similar to yours to get the maximum use out of my RAM.

The point I'm trying to make before I set it to 1:1 even the Auto settings on my board were unstable, I tried everything to get a stable platform. You would think that "Auto" settings would get it done but it didn't so it is something you may want to remember.

11. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

I see. So how do you set the cpu/mobo to get the max setting out of the ram?

I'm going to order my system as soon as I can. But once I put it together, I will want it working at max efficency. Are they settings once the computer is running on its OS?

And I think I'm going to just get vista, and get patches as they come out to kill the bugs.

12. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

I don't think anyone should get Vista until at least 6 months down the road. Anyone who does is asking for it. Every new version of Windows that has been released has been total garbage for the first 6 months. I'm not making it up. Search the internet for Vista problems and see what comes up. It was like that with XP, ME and Windows 98. It took XP a whole year before they started to address the security issues. My opinion is don't bother with Vista until late summer.

About the DRAM, when you boot your system for the first time you will go into what is called the BIOS. That needs to be set up correctly before you can even install any version of Windows. That's why I suggested that book. That is where the built in settings of your motherboard are stored. If you set it up wrong you are going to wish you never tried building a computer.

13. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

How do I set it up right? And I can't imagine if I leave it at normal settings I'm going to get a bad computer.

14. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

bump

15. Ecto

Ecto Thread Starter

I just read a thread about a new computer someone built that looks about the same price as mine thats not working. I'm scared!

If I put all my parts together right, not breaking any of them, and doing it right, will it all work well?

And btw, for Windows Vista Ultimate; the full version, not upgrade, it costs my Uncle $45.00.

How can I make sure it will all run good? There all compatible....I'm scared!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice