Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compatibility issues re: AV's and spyware

755 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  aka_bigfan 
#1 ·
Hello! Until recently I have only been using Norton AV2001 (updated regularly through live update) and McAfee firewall. I did not install McAfee AV since there are incompatibility issues with Norton. Yesterday I downloaded a free AV called avast. It alerted me on some things found on my computer like BiSpy, ncasespy, trojano etc. Because of this i read on spyware and downloaded the ff:HijackThis, AdAware, SpyBot, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster and SwatIt. Do I really need all of these in my system? Am I not risking any compatibility issues here? Thanks for your suggestions

#2 ·
Pick one Anti Virus and run it , just keep it updated. AVG is very good and FREE. I would keep Adaware, SpyBot & SpyBlaster. The rest like Hijack , I would only d/l them as needed , use them and then delete them. It is most important to keep all of your applications UPDATED and an occasional visit to both TREND & PANDA online Virus Scans is good to do. Also every once in awhile clean up your registry with a Registry Cleaner. Do this and watch what mail you open and you should be fine. :up:

#3 ·
Thanks so much! I keep my Norton updated and I am actually planning to update it to a 2004 version. So your suggestion is that I get rid of the avast right? I am actually having a problem using McAfee firewall, I would appreciate it if you could suggest one that is easier to use, obviously I don't know much about these things :) Also, about the Registry Cleaner, where can I get this? Thanks again!

#4 ·
To be quite honest , I would go to AVG as my Anti Virus, I used Norton for four years and got tired of Symatec always conflicting with other applications let alone how Norton is a huge resourse Hog. Plus every year they charge you $14.00 for some reason or other. (never figured that one out). But I will supply you a link that has all the Freeware that you can use . The ones I have already mentioned are pretty much a must have. I use Windows Clean Up , and have never had any problems , or heard of any from those I recommended it to. It's at the bottom of this Post. And this Link will provided you with what you want and more. AdAware & SpyBot are also below. The most important thing is to keep them UPDATED.

SpyBlaster...http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

All the rest......http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.