1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatibility issues re: AV's and spyware

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by aka_bigfan, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aka_bigfan

aka_bigfan Thread Starter

Hello! Until recently I have only been using Norton AV2001 (updated regularly through live update) and McAfee firewall. I did not install McAfee AV since there are incompatibility issues with Norton. Yesterday I downloaded a free AV called avast. It alerted me on some things found on my computer like BiSpy, ncasespy, trojano etc. Because of this i read on spyware and downloaded the ff:HijackThis, AdAware, SpyBot, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster and SwatIt. Do I really need all of these in my system? Am I not risking any compatibility issues here? Thanks for your suggestions

2. Sponsor

3. Pacalis

Pacalis

Pick one Anti Virus and run it , just keep it updated. AVG is very good and FREE. I would keep Adaware, SpyBot & SpyBlaster. The rest like Hijack , I would only d/l them as needed , use them and then delete them. It is most important to keep all of your applications UPDATED and an occasional visit to both TREND & PANDA online Virus Scans is good to do. Also every once in awhile clean up your registry with a Registry Cleaner. Do this and watch what mail you open and you should be fine. (y)

4. aka_bigfan

Thanks so much! I keep my Norton updated and I am actually planning to update it to a 2004 version. So your suggestion is that I get rid of the avast right? I am actually having a problem using McAfee firewall, I would appreciate it if you could suggest one that is easier to use, obviously I don't know much about these things :) Also, about the Registry Cleaner, where can I get this? Thanks again!

5. Pacalis

Pacalis

To be quite honest , I would go to AVG as my Anti Virus, I used Norton for four years and got tired of Symatec always conflicting with other applications let alone how Norton is a huge resourse Hog. Plus every year they charge you $14.00 for some reason or other. (never figured that one out). But I will supply you a link that has all the Freeware that you can use . The ones I have already mentioned are pretty much a must have. I use Windows Clean Up , and have never had any problems , or heard of any from those I recommended it to. It's at the bottom of this Post. And this Link will provided you with what you want and more. AdAware & SpyBot are also below. The most important thing is to keep them UPDATED.

SpyBlaster...http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

All the rest......http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html

6. aka_bigfan

Ok thanks again!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/251075