Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compatibility Mode Issues

965 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bernardo 
#1 ·
Hey,

Using Windows Live Messenger and dislike having the icon on the taskbar, so have been using compatibility mode to force it back into the systray.

However, its randomly stopped working, its still set to run in compatibility mode for Windows Vista SP2, yet loads as if its running for Windows 7.

The same issue has started occuring with Skype too.

Anyone have any clues as to whats happened?

Thanks

#4 ·
After you open Windows Live Messenger in Windows 7 it sits on the taskbar unless you completely kill it. In Vista or XP if you "X" out it will stay active with a Notification Area icon, but nothing in the taskbar. This is not a pin or unpin issue.

IMO compatibility mode is to try to get Windows 7 incompatible stuff to run, at least partially. Using it for applications that are fine in Windows 7 is just asking for trouble.

#5 ·
I know its asking for trouble, but it kept me happy for so long, and then one day... stopped working. It still happily sits in the systray on my laptop and a couple of other people I've checked with.

Its really annoying because you get an icon that should be in the systray, on the taskbar, i.e. by clicking on it, it just opens another window, and right clicking it gives you a set of options, the bit that frustrates me is it just fills the taskbar up, who at microsoft thought this was useful in any way, shape or form?!

Anyway, before I start ranting. I wonder how i can force it to go back there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.