1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compatibility-mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tarheelsouth, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tarheelsouth

tarheelsouth Thread Starter

when i go into my computer, then performance, it say i am in a compatibility -mode because mill. me was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program in my config.sys or autoexec.bat file. drive c and drive a is in dos mode. drive c is my main drive and a is for floppy use. does anyone know what this means? when i start up my computer it goes to a black screen that has 1,2,3 or 4. i think that is dos, i don't know. if i hit 1 everything comes in, but it says it makes my computer have less system resources. this is confusing to me. help.
    thank you tarheelsouth

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 98 and Windows ME normally do not need anything listed in the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. Type in a semi-colon ( ; ) at the beginning of each line, save the changes, then reboot. This will prevent Windows from reading those commands during startup. See if that helps.

3. tarheelsouth

hi thanks for trying to help me. when i start up my computer it goes to a millennium me startup screen. on the screen is 1: normal 2: logged boot log.txt 3 safe mode 4 step by step confirmation. i can click on 1 and everything loads and the computer starts up. i had a new harddrive installed last dec and he put millennium me in for me. are some of my programs supposed to be in dos mode? i really don't understand about dos mode. on the startup screen i can't put in the semi-colon you are telling me about. how low can my system resources go before something happens. when i play games on the internet, my systems resources drop from 86% to 30% in about two games. this is on pogo.com. that is why i am trying to find out about about the dos. i have a gateway ev 700 computer. it has 190 rams of memory and 37 gbs. am i just worrying too much, after all the computer works.
    thanks tarheelsouth

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've known a few poeple who have a conflict with using Windows ME and playing games on the POGO site, but I don't know why it happens.

You should be able to access the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files by looking in the C:\ root directory or by typing the file names in Start - Run.

5. tarheelsouth

thank you for helping me. the franks tips are great. i am new with computer, so can'r figure out what you are trying to tell me.since the computer works like this, will leave it alone. thanks again tarheelsouth

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you click Start - Run, type in CONFIG.SYS, then click OK, that file should open. You can access the AUTOEXEC.BAT file by doing the same thing.

Another way of doing it is to click Start - Search - All Files And Folders, then typing in the file name. When it appears, right-click it, then click Open or Open With - - Notepad.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice