1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatibility New comp help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SOFwhitewolf, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SOFwhitewolf

SOFwhitewolf Thread Starter

2. SOFwhitewolf

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/bx2/bx2_mem.htm

Go here and look at the supported RAM list. I don't think that DDR2 675 will work.

You don't have an optical drive: I'd suggest a Lite On Retail DVD burner.

Also, for hard drives, the Seagate 7200.10 SATA 3.0's are the hot deal right now. 5 year warranty.

Don't forget an operating system. You might see if that case is available without a power supply--and stick with the Antec you have listed seperately.

Looking good so far!

4. SOFwhitewolf

Ya i wasnt sure about ram, because the 667 and 675 are both rated at 5400, but anyway i can change it to the 800, and i already have a dvd and cd burner that are both light on, and also have a OS too

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

I used Patriot RAM with both of my Intel boards and it seemed to like that stuff well enough. Corsair and OCZ are great brands too.

Enjoy the build!

6. SOFwhitewolf

Ok, so 3 questions. You always want a lower case latency? and also you can go lower on voltage but not higher correct? Also you want lower or higher timings?

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

Ignore latencies as they pertain to performance. It has little to do with it.

Newer boards, especially GOOD boards like ASUS and Intel are picky about RAM. So you probably don't have much in the way of choice in the matter.

In my Intel D946GZIS with a Core 2 Duo, I run Patriot DDR2 667 which has timings of 5-5-5-12. You will likely have to use the same thing.

Another good resource is www.crucial.com

Plug the board in the configurator and see what it has to say about all that stuff.

8. SOFwhitewolf

Your board's max is 667, while mine is 800, and i checked corsair and pulged teh board in and it shows the ram i have as compatible, but still what is better, higher or lower timings, and higher or lower case latency?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice