Solved Compatibility Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MommaJan

I have Toshiba with windows 10. I have old 3.5 diskettes that I want to extract information. I want to buy 3.5 diskette reader that is compatible with windows 10 but does not say compatible with older windows 95. I can't find any that say compatible with windows 95. Unfortunately, the IntelliSync for HP 200LX program requires windows 95. Could I still extract the information using my windows 10 and diskette reader by downloading a converter file or something? Please help. I have very critical information I need to attract. Thanks.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You don't need to convert anything to read a floppy disk, or one that is compatible with Windows 95, floppy disks are not unique to an operating system and modern USB floppy drives would not be compatible with Windows 95 due to lack of USB drivers in Windows 95. For any modern computer you will need a USB Floppy drive, any computer made in the last half decade will not have internal floppy drive headers. Now once you read the floppy drive then you will need the appropriate program to open those files; so if the files are WordPerfect files then you will need WordPerfect or a compatible program to open them. If you are trying to run a program that is designed for Windows 95 then it will not work on Windows 10 even if you get a floppy drive; you would need an actual computer running Windows 95, 98, ME, or possibly Windows XP to run the program or a virtual system that runs one of these operating systems.

MommaJan

Are there computers out there that run windows 95 or compatible programs? i only found old computers for sale for windows 7. And if the intellisync program only runs with the older windows programs, is there any way to extract the information other than manually transcribing it?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You'd have to find someone that still has one for sale, eBay probably has some. And you can probably find a small local shop that might be able to build you a Windows 98 machine. The program may also work on Windows XP and those are much easier to find. But then it seems you need some other programs to sync the data too using IntelliSync and theose need to be old versions as well, unless it has some basic functionality; not sure as it's so old. Maybe take a read here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.palmtops/pRx0Aw_AMYw and this: http://www.palmtoppaper.com/ptphtml/36/pt360015.htm

MommaJan

Thanks. Unfortunately the one thread is old and only seems useful if I can access the intellisync program. The other website might be able to shed more light. You were very helpful.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online