1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatibility with W98SE & MSDOS programs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gary R, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Is Vista compatible with 98SE programs? One I'm worried about is that I have close to a gig of .doc filies made with Word2000 (SR-1) and I certainly don't want to lose them :)

I do a little gaming, but mainly websurf, do some picture editing and .doc stuff --- which would be the best version to get and how much memory and processor speed does it require?

Current comp. = 1 GHz. Athlon Thunderbird, DirectX9, 256 Mb. RAM, 32 Mb Sound Card. MSI-6330 (Lite 3) Motherboard, Award BIOS 6.2

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

You can almost run it, but even with the small upgrades to get up to speed you won't run it well. And you definitely wouldn't be running Aero without infinite patience.

.DOC files BTW should open under newer versions of word without a problem. If you were trying to run your copy of Sim Ant you might have a problem though.

3. Compiler

Compiler

Because of the age of your system, a new computer would be best. If you go to a store, pre-built HPaq/'Gateway/Lenovo with 1GB RAM, dual-core AMD64s are about $600 with Vista Prem (fancy effects) - sometimes, you'll get a 17 or 19" LCD monitor to boot.

vs: $150 OS + $150 CPU + $100 RAM + $100 mobo + $50 for min. video card + $75 for a new case/PSU ($625)

If your stuff is still running good - keep on truckin...

4. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Im going to have to keep on truckin :) with this system (about 5 years old) a while yet, hope to get new computer by mid-year (earlier, if lucky).
    So, Vista will run most 98 non-game type programs, and the version of Office/Word is backward compatible with Word2000 then?

I have a few MSDOS games from ye olde W95 times on this computer, but will Vista run MSDOS?

Aero -- is that part of Vista, or was it a reference to a game?

5. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Vista will not run ALL 98 games, without encountering difficulties, particularly in the graphics area. You can forget about DOS games, although there are DOS simulators available. I would say, from your postings, that it is time to take stock and move on to the upgrade path. A big leap would be Vista, but even XP would help you to move on. There are many sources to tell you of the minimum hardware requirements for Vista, including these pages.

6. Compiler

Compiler

XP and Vista do not run MS-DOS.... Window 9x was the last to have a DOS prompt (yeah yeah, XP does too, but its not the same)... So it allows you to save your rear-end if Win98 screws up.

XP/WinNT handles file structure different than DOS/WIn98.

if youre buying a pre-built PC, you'll more likely be stuck with vista.

Recommened requirements by myself (not M$, as they are WAY WAY too low - they'd rather get that sale to a sucker for a useless experince)

- Dual Core CPU: Either an AMD64 X2 (low/med) or Core2Duo ($1000+)
    - 1GB for basic function... 2GB for better performance...
    - HD size is up to you.
    - DVD Drive.

7. ChrisPC

ChrisPC

If your concern is opening Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files created in Office 2000 on a system running Vista (and you are cheap like me), then just download and install OpenOffice--http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/index.html. It's free, runs well on Vista, and I'd consider it a substantial upgrade over Office 2000.

8. Compiler

Compiler

OpenOffice 2.x is not exactly an "upgrade" as it doesn't include some features of MSO2000 (but does have more functions in other areas) - with the most offending missing items being a PIM - which is one of the simplest programs to make. Not refering to the email functions of Outlook Express.

I posted this problem on this forum about 2-3 years ago - even talked to a Linux business/developer guy too... sigh.

Last I heard, they were looking at a Mozella calender program - but its currently version 0.3 - not ready for the general public... For it to really count, it needs to be bundled as part of OpenOffice...

Its stupid things like this that keeps Linux down. Programers thinking like PROGRAMERS - not actual users.

9. ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Compiler, you are right on all points. Outlook is available as a separate install, at least to all organizations that use Exchange, and that is how I usually install it. I forgot that it is also an integral part of most Office SKUs. I also would LOVE to see a good open source PIM.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Or if you have the Office 2000 CD and are not going to use your old computer, you should be able to install it on the new one. Not a legal expert but don't recall their being issues if you only use one copy on one computer.

But the data files will work fine. I have many that were created and not used since Win95. Just open up some with an even newer version of Office with no problems

11. Compiler

Compiler

ChrisPC - A PIM is in the works, FINALLy - Lightning/Sunbird.
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar

No timeline when its finished - but you can give it a try... I'm still going to say it - the Powers-that-Be who control OpenOffice were STUPID in this respect to NOT have developed a PIM into the suite. All it is basiclly is a Data-base with a calander generator that links to other programs... They should have known this since StarOffice6! People, besides me have complained about it.

I don't use or need Outlook myself. I prefer to use PalmDesktop - its easier and faster to use... and recommend people DL and put it on their PCs, even withot out Palm PDAs.
    Get it here: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/win_desktop.html
    (Just put in any type of PDA you - but not TREO)

(Wait - looks like this link bypasses entering an email addres etc)
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk414_legal.html (15mb)

12. bigk

bigk

If your interested in running a MS DOS game I heard that Dos Box can make those old games work. (Please note I've never tried dos box.)

Bigk :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice