1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatibility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BumontheRun, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BumontheRun

BumontheRun Thread Starter

Ok...i have been having lots of problems lately...and its not related to software because my hard drive worked fine on another computer. I want to know if this list of what i have is compatible with each other and with xp.

Motherboard:
    ASUS A7V8X-X AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Socket A (tech: http://secure.newegg.com/app/specification.asp?item=13-131-451 )

Processor:
    AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR
    Specifications:
    CPU: 1.83 GHz
    Type: XP 2500 Barton Core
    Cache: 512K L2, 128K L1, Total 640KB
    BUS: 333MHz
    Socket A

RAM
    CRUCIAL MICRON 512MB 64x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM
    -184-Pin, CL=2.5-Unbuffered Non Parity 2.5V, CT6464Z335 Requires DDR supported Motherboard

Hard drive
    80GB Western Digital - 8mb cache... -I got this from circuit city...

Video Card
    Geforce 4 MX 420 - PCI - by evg(or somethin) - its a year old but worked fine on this comp

DVD Drive
    DVD|AOPEN16X DVD-1648/BKH BLACK RET

Case
    ANTEC SOHO File ServerTower ATX Case Model SX1040BII with 400 Watt Smart Power, Power Supply (tech: http://secure.newegg.com/app/specification.asp?item=11-129-120 )

I am getting the mb replaced with the same one. Are any of these incompatible, cause they look fine to me. And they all should work with xp right?

If you want to see the problems i have had, just search for some of my posts.

Thanks

2. BumontheRun

On other thing...i noticed when i was disconnecting the motherboard(i haven't shipped it yet) that the dvd drive was using the ultra dma ribbon cable(the one with the blue end). I must have hooked up the wrong one by accident. Would this cause my problems? Such as windows registry thing gettin corrupt, sound not working, always getting the logo testing thing when i try to install something...

3. dai

dai

try connecting it properly

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have the same mb running crucial ram and 2 WD 80 hd on a highpoint controller card in raid 0. No problems whatsoever. It is so stable I cannot make it crash no matter what I do.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No the ribbon wouldn't cause this.

XP does not like to be moved from one hardware config to another. Another thing it could be bad ram or just about any other piece of hardware. Try swapping RAM with someone. Try removing some hardware and see if it has any effect. It could also be a corrupt/incorrect driver.

6. BumontheRun

i dont have a controller card...and i have reformated and used a new hd from scratch on it... i'll try again when i get my mb back...should be sometime next week...i think..though i haven't sent it yet lol...i am too lazy to put it back, and i need to get new thermal pads for the cpu if i do...

7. BumontheRun

also i forgot to mention...i got that windows/system32/config/system corrupt error...tried formating after with the windows cd and it said the drive was damaged or corrupt... i scanned for errors using the WD diagnostic tools and it found none...so whats wrong there?

the cpu is 'barton' does that make a difference if my mb is not a 'barton'?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your mb supports the Barton core. There may be a problem with your board, however most errors during install are ram related. There is a new bios for your mb ver 1006, have you flashed to that bios?

9. BumontheRun

no but i'll try it when i get my mb back...if its mb related it should be fixed when i replace... i'll try a friends ram tho if i still have problems

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice