1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatibilty Of Motherboard with rest of PC !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by filerz, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

Hello, i wanted to buy the E8400 CPU but finding out that my ASUS P5V-VM SE HD motherboard was not compatible got me looking for a new Motherboard. I am on a tight budget so i want for nothing too flashy,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-100-GI

I was just wondering and doubtfull about getting it, i dont know why just was. I looked and read about it, its not too bad of a board and obvoiusly cheap, but more importantly compatible with 45nm chips.

I know it says it is compatible with DDR2 but is that any type of DDR2 memory in the world? or does it have to be specific. sounds stupid i know but i didnt want to buy the board and then find out that i needed new RAM.

Also my PSU its a Hiper Global award winning PSU i got down the computer fair, so its not a cheap PSU but, its only 530W. Will i be needing a stronger one? I have E6600 CPU, 8800GT, 4GB OCZ 800 RAM at the moment but will this new MB and CPU the E8400 need more wattage?

Also if you could answer this also.
    Overclocking the CPU, do you have to do it in the BIOS? or can you do it diffrently? which way would you suggest if there is a diffrent way.

Cheers.

2. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

3. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

I wont gt tht 1 becuse i dont think ASUS has the best reputation atm, i dont need sli and some people have said it has a bad layout.

4. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

I think ASUS has an excellent reputation right now but that is an opinion. You should be able to do perfectly fine with the Gigabyte motherboard.

5. Dustdvl

Dustdvl

i got M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition and i think its pretty good but i dont think theres 2 slots so u cant Dual Drive video cards :p

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have that board and the same cpu and it will work, but what they don't tell you is you will need a bios flash to use that cpu.
    This board will do it with the current bios on it but it's more money...great baord we just built a 9300 Quad Core with it!
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Product...board&ProductID=2637&ProductName=GA-EP35-DS3R

7. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

Enfotoad

Ah well i cant really say about any companys reputation atm im just taking other peoples point of views ASUS might be good i dont really know lol.

Dustdvl

Im not worried about dual video cards i cant afford it :p

Rich-M

I am on a very tight budget so ill probz go with the original Gigabyte Board. but flashing the bios, how do you do that? Is it easy? Will i need to pay to get that done? Obvoiusly if im going to need to pay to flash the bios the other more expensive board becomes more into my choice.

8. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

Could someone also tell me if i would need a bigger Power Supply please i have 530W atm.

9. brite750

brite750

need make/model to even have a chance of answering, if its a good quality one probably, but what else are you connecting to it?
    I just built a pc with the Gigabyte from 1st post, works fine so far.

10. brite750

brite750

it helps if i would have read through the 1st post, I think youre fine with the Hiper

ps got a model number for it?

11. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

I duno if this is right but this is on the box it came in.

HPU-4K530-MK V2

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Flashing the bios is one of the most dangerous operations of all as one wrong move, even a power outage and your board is useless so it is not for the faint of heart. The other problem is it won't boot with the Penryn cpu in it do you need another cpu to boot so you can upgrade the bios to handle the Penryn cpu so yest to do that I would definitely let a shop do it for you which will make the board cost alot more than the alternative board I oferred you that won't need that.
    The Psu wattage you mention is fine except we don't buy psu's based on wattage but instead quality as wattage means nothing in the whole scheme of things. Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, or Enermax are all I recommend use of and you could do with 450 or even 400 on one of those.

13. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

I might consider the other board then, i have a CPU to use yes e6600, how much is it to flash Bios?.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK you could install the E6600 then build the pc and do the bios flash in Windows using the Gigabyte motherboard cd, and then switch the processor to the Penryn. That way it is relatively easy with not as much peril.

15. filerz

filerz Thread Starter

Ok ill just do that

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/725648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice