1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatibilty problem with Intel Chipset31/33 video card and Viewsonic display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boblink, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boblink

boblink Thread Starter

Hi I have Lenovo IndeaCentre K210 system with 3GB RAM, 500G HD with the video adapter integrated in the Intel Chipset31/33.
    I also have a Viewsonic VX2433 Model VS12324 monitor and the problem that I have is when I open some applications (like Taxcut), the lines on the display (screen), do not line up properly.
    For example if there is a YES and NO box to be checked off, the YES box would line up next to the NO Box and the NO Box would line up under the NO box (next to nothing), instead of being next to the NO Box.

This is not only annoying but it is causing/creating problems especially when I work with with the Taxcut program becauses (with things not lined up properly), I am not sure where the correct entry should be made?
    I updated the Viewsonic VX2433 driver and installed the most current Intel Chipset driver but the problem still continues.
    I contacted Viewsonic and they advised me "the lining up of the boxes is coming not from the monitor but the incoming signal (video card issue)" so it appears that I may need to purchase a new video/graphics adapter and would appreciate your help.
    My questions are:
    - Do I really need a new video adaper?
    - If so, WHAT video card would you suggest that I look at for a configuration of a Lenovo IdeaCentre K210 53134BU system with an integrated Intel Chipset31/33 (video adapter) and a Viewsonic display?

Thank you in advance for your help,
    Bob

2. Severcool

Severcool

1. If you have a video card lying around you could test this issue. Maybe you have an old computer laying around with a video card in it?

2. Stay away from low end video cards - they cause more problems than they fix. I recommend Sapphire, affordable and decent quality w/ ATI chips. PCI-E is your connector type for your specific PC.

3. boblink

boblink Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me SeverCool, I don't have an old system (usually give it to someone or donate it) so I can't really test things. Will there be a compatibilty problem with the Intel imbedded card and any new card that I purchase? Any suggestions / advice / recommendation / .... for where I can possibly find information about this (i.e. if a particular Video adapter WILL work or not), before I invest in a new video adapter?
    Bob

4. Severcool

Severcool

The won't be any issues with a new card interferring with your embedded video adapter. The BIOS has a setting where you can tell it what video adapter to use. Are you familiar with your BIOS? If not you should be.

Intel's website will tell you everything you need to know about your chipset.

Your particular chipset supports PCI-E v.1.1. Nothing you really have to worry about because v2 is backwards compatable so any PCI-E video card will work.

5. Severcool

Severcool

TigerDirect.com is where i purchase my stuff. Saphirre makes a decent video card.

6. boblink

boblink Thread Starter

Thanks again Severcool, I am familar with BIOS and am on TigerDirects (e)mailing list.
    Bob

7. boblink

boblink Thread Starter

Hi guys, a little more background information about this problem. Lenovo replaced the MB and I exchanged the Viewsonic display so whatever is causing this problem, is probably not due to defective HW but by a SW conflict.
    The Viewsonic monitor has a 16x9 screen and I am wondering if the setting (or the capacities) of the integrated Intel video adapter are limited to the older standard display (which I believe is 4x3 but I'm not sure) and do not support 16x9?
    Bob

8. Severcool

Severcool

OIC....didn't know the MOBO was replaced....a whole different story now.

Well i would say it's definitley a limit on your graphics adapter. It probably can't display widescreen properly....not so fast....

2048x1536 is the max resolution for this Intel GMA 3100.....
    http://download.intel.com/products/graphics/intel_graphics_guide.pdf

So it definitely shouldn't be the graphics adapter. Look like it has plenty.

So what about the compatability of the monitors driver and your OS? What OS are you using??

9. boblink

boblink Thread Starter

Thanks Severcool, the Lenovo came with Vista Home Premier, the display is a Viewsonic VX2433 and I downloaded the latest drivers so this si VERY StRNgE
    since the Lenovo system is a few months old and Viewson display was purchased a few weeks and you say that graphic card is capably of supporting a 16x9 screen........ummmmmmm.
    I can't possible imagine WHAT else might be causing this problem?
    Thanks,
    Bob

10. Severcool

Severcool

sounds like its a driver issue with Viewsonic....

11. boblink

boblink Thread Starter

Thanks Sev, am I caught beteween a hard place and rock?
    I have the latest Viewsonic driver and when I contact them, they basically say that it's not them. Viewsonic is willing to replace the monitor (but I don't think that will help because the same problem occured with another Viewsonic monitor that this one replaced). I can also return the Viewsonic monitor but it was a good buy ($219 for a 24") but if it doesn't work properly, it ain't going to do me any good no matter how good a deal I got. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Bob

12. boblink

boblink Thread Starter

Hello again S-cool, just a thought.......
    I was looking at the Costco Website (I prefer buying from Costco because of the return policy and they also add an extra year to the warranty) and noticed that they have a 24" recon HP and 23" Samsung (asee below) for about the same price that I paid for the 24" Viewsonic.
    So I can always return the Viewsonic and order one of these from Costco if you convinced that the Viewsonic driver is the culprit since Viewsonic appears to pint the finger at everybody/anybody but them, so I'm going to be stuck with the problem until Viewsonic steps (i.e. gets enough complaints) and releases a fix (updated driver).
    Thank for ALL your help,
    Bob

HP W2408

Nearly all 24-inch models feature a native resolution of 1920x1200, making them ideal for displaying 1080p hi-def content (1920x1080)

· Vivid Color 24 In Widescreen Flat LCD Monitor w/BrightView Panel
    · 1920x1200 Native Resolution and 1000:1 Contrast Ratio
    · High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection for Optimum Viewing of Hi Def Content
    · 5ms Response Time, Rotate from Your Regular View
    · 23.01" W x 11.38" D x 19.7" H
    Display:
    • 24" diagonal widescreen TFT LCD
    • Resolution: 1920 x 1200 WUXGA
    • Contrast ratio: 1000:1 (typical)
    • Response Time: 5ms (on/off)
    • Brightness: 400 nits (typical)
    • Pixel pitch: 0.282mm
    Features:

• Pedestal is removeable
    • VESA 100mm mount compatible
    • Integrated rear-facing speakers (2W x 2)
    • ENERGY STAR qualified
    • Tilt: 0 to +25°
    Input Connections:

• HDMI with HDCP (cable included)
    • VGA (cable included)
    General:
    • 130W max power rating
    • Weight: 21.6 lbs.
    • Dimensions: 23.1" W x 19.7" H x D 11.38" D

Samsung Model 2343BWX

• Viewable Image Size: 23"
    • Optimal Preset Resolution: 2048 x 1152
    • Brightness: 300 cd/m2 (typical)
    • Contrast Ratio: 1,000:1 (typical) - 20,000:1 (dynamic)
    • Viewing Angle: 170 H, 160 V
    • Response time: 5ms (typical)
    Input Connection:
    • Digital DVI-D with HDCP
    • Analog RGB
    General:
    • VESA 100mm wall mountable
    • High glossy black Chassis
    • Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warranty

13. boblink

boblink Thread Starter

Hi SeverCool, two questions for you if you don't mind.
    Are you comfortable that Viewsonic (Viewsonic driver) is the cultrit?
    And you do have any suggestions of what manufacturer you woudl suggest (i.e. that usually do not have compatibilty problems with video adapters and Intel Chipsets in my case)?
    Thanks,
    Bob

14. Severcool

Severcool

Well, I can't really say what the culprit is. I do think it's a compatability issue with either the driver for the monitor or Vista.....and Vista is notorious for having driver issues.

If you can get another monitor and not have to spend any money I sure would try that.

Samsung vs. HP - Samsung has better hardware, but HP you know is going to work. Go with the HP.

15. boblink

boblink Thread Starter

Good morning SeverCool, thank you again for all your help, I think that I've uncovered something that is important and unfortunately I don't know how to interpret it (figure out what to do).
    I unistalled the Intel Driver and Vista installed the (default) VGA driver and then re-installing the Intel Driver and after the system restarted, I opened the Taxcut Business program that was not aligning properly and it was fine. A an hour or so later, it was back to be aligned improperly (as I described when we started) so my guess is that the Lenovo system and Viewsonic Monitor get along fine but something apparently is updating once the Intel Drivers is installed that is causing the conflict.
    I consider myself a little more knwoledgeable than a novice so I don't know if I am interpreting what is happening correctly and would appreciate your analysis and / or possible remedies. Also, I guess that there si no need to return the Viewsonic display since am not sure if another manufacturers display would be any better that the Viewsonic display since it apparently works fine at least for awhile and then "something happens" to make it go out of whack.
    So the new qusetion would be WHAT is causing settings to change that cause the alignment problem to happen?
    Thanks again for all your help SeverCool,
    Bob

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/803576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice