1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compatible DVD decoder

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by FanPack, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FanPack

FanPack Thread Starter

"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."

This is what appears when I try to play a dvd on my computer with Windows Media Player. How do I fix this.

Appreciate the help. This site is awesome.

2. shihni

shihni

What DVD is it? NTSC or Pal?

3. FanPack

FanPack Thread Starter

I'm not sure. How would I check that?

4. stantley

stantley

5. FanPack

FanPack Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. It works fine now.

6. Skippie

Skippie

Hi, I tried the download recommended in this thread - and, my Internet Explorer came up with an error in the middle of the downloat - saying it did not support something and stopped the download.

Is there a fix other than the last one posted on this list?

I'm on vacation and need to find a way to play the CD movies I brought along from home and my Windows Vista is apparently not going to allow me to do so.

Skippie

7. stantley

stantley

For Vista try this download: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/vista_codec_package.htm

If you still have problems get VLC media player, a freeware player that will play DVD's.

8. Skippie

Skippie

Wonderful! The second one made it work! I still cannot get audio to come out of the speakers on my Samsung LED Series 6000 Flat Panel TV but I get sound out of my laptop and the video comes up on the Samsung - so, we'll listen to the laptop audio and watch the video on the flat panel tv!

I'm trying to get help from Samsung on the audio issue but we're at least able to watch/listen to the CDs we have along on our vacation!

You are a wonderful resource.

Skippie

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice