1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compatible graphics card that will work w/ my gpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starlight64, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starlight64

starlight64 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    I am looking for a graphics card for my 3 yr old computer. I'd like to get something that will work in Conjunction w/ my GPU and not simply cancel it out. I know they have them. Just don't know if my board will do this. Another thing I need to make sure it is compatible w/ my PCI. And finally when the card says ddr 3 or 5 is it compatible since my board only takes ddr 2 mem sticks? Here is the link for my board:

http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1165#menu

Please don't tell me to get a new board or system since mine is old. I know that and getting a new system right now isn't an option.

Thanks

2. BG-0

BG-0

The board doesn't have Hybrid Crossfire, which would be needed for what you're willing to do. Not that you actually can run them in conjunction with Hybrid Crossfire either, you've got a bit of a wrong vision of it... When onboard works "alongst" with a discrete card, it just means the discrete card goes to a very low power sleep when no 3D apps are running and the onboard handles desktop usage.
    (G)DDR3/5/whatever is not a compatibility issue, neither are PCI versions - PCI-E 16x cards, let them be 2.0, 2.1 or whatever will work on your board.
    Power supply quality and true output capacity is. What's your current power supply model? Look at its side for some hints if you don't know straight off the top of your head. "*** Watts" is not enough, a real model is needed to determine any useful facts about the unit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice