1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatible Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hamr, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hamr

hamr Thread Starter

hey guys, on my current desktop pc I have 4gb of ram but ive noticed it beginning to slow down (the computer is now 4 years old and has not be altered since I custom built it).

the current ram i have is Corsair CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 and i was thinking about adding Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2A1600C9R 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 which would total the ram to 12gb

i was wondering if it was possible to mix these rams and have them both in the computer at once making full use of the 4 ram slots i have available on my motherboard or if i would replace the current 4gb with the new 8gb.

thanks guys

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Which Windows version and bit version is your computer running?

What's the brand name and model number of its motherboard?

If your computer is running Windows 64-bit and its motherboard supports 8 GB+ of RAM, I would add another matching pair of Corsair Dominator CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 2 GB modules.

That would give it 8 GB(2 GB X 4) of RAM - which is more RAM than most computers need.

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There can be several reasons why your computer has started to run slow, so you might want to address those issues before adding more RAM.

Some causes of slowness are:

1. Too many running processes.

2. An infestation of malware, spyware, etc.

3. The processor heatsink cooling unit is clogged with dust.

-------------------------------------------------------------

4. hamr

hamr Thread Starter

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The ASUS P7P55D-E PRO motherboard has 4 memory slots and supports 16 GB(4 GB X 4) of RAM and uses DDR3 PC3-12800(DDR3-1600) modules.

If you click "Support" and then click "Memory/Device Support", a file with the list of supported memory modules will appear that you can download and view.

The file is in ZIP format, so its contents need to be extracted.

The extracted file is in PDF format, so it needs to be opened and viewed with Adobe Reader or some other PDF reader.

In order to save you some time and avoid having you go through that process, I've copied the entire list of supported DDR3 PC3-12800(DDR3-1600) modules and submitted it here.

There are very few Corsair-brand 4 GB(4096 MB) modules listed there, so the list isn't very helpful.

I stand by my recommendation in post #2.

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice