1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compatible RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matty1stop, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matty1stop

matty1stop Thread Starter

I just bought a new PC that unfortunately does not have enough RAM (512MB instead of 1GB) to run the OS (Vista basic) it came with effectively.

Here are the specs for the machine.

This is the memory it came with: 512MB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory 2 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2)

Is there any way of telling if this RAM is compatible?

Memory Size 512MB

Memory Speed 533MHz PC4200

Memory Type DDR2

Memory CAS Latency 4

Pins 240

Thanks for the help,

Matt

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You would be much better off going to crucial, kingston, or corsair's site and input your system. It will find you compatible ram that will work.

BTW I have never heard of that brand and using unknown ram is just asking for a problem.

3. matty1stop

Thanks for the advice. I'll check them out.

4. ferrija1

ferrija1

Here is RAM Crucial recommends for your system. I would get 1.5GB of RAM (so you have 2GB total) , 1GB will be enough for Vista but it will be a bit slow.

5. matty1stop

Thanks. I couldn't find my model # on corsair or kingston.

There is 512MB in there now. Do they have to match or can I get 1GB and have 512MB in the original.

Its frustrating that I have to spend another $100 for a brand new PC just to get it to run effectively. Probably should've stuck with XP.

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

I am guessing there are 2 256MB sticks in it right now, is that right? With DDR2 SD RAM (double-data-rate two synchronous dynamic random access memory :p ) , you must install the modules in pairs of the same size.

For example, if you currently have 2 256MB modules and you want a total of 1GB, you would but two more 256MB modules. So whatever you buy, you will have to buy two of it (unless it's in a two-stick package/kit) .

7. matty1stop

It came with 1 slot with 512MB and one empty slot. Doesn't that negate the whole "pairs" thing?

Should I get another 512MB stick or could I put in a 1GB stick?

8. ferrija1

ferrija1

You could probably put in either...

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can put in either however if your system is capable of dual channel you generally want to match the ram. Intel boards can run dual channel with an odd number of ram chips however most other boards will not.

10. matty1stop

So I should either get 1 512MB stick for $55 or 2 1GB sticks for $200?
    (prices from crucial)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you only have two slots, you would need to pull your existing 512 out if you want to buy the 2X1gig ram chips.
    I like having 2gig of ram for vista however you would be wasting the one 512 you have in there now if you went that way.

FWIW I have not done an install on a system running only 1gig so I cannot tell you how it performs.

12. ferrija1

ferrija1

Ok, I knew that but thought it was a bit odd he had one 512 stick instead of a pair (of 256s).

13. matty1stop

This is a 2nd PC that the kids use so I'm trying to be frugal, but not stupid about this. If I just wanted to add one stick in the empty slot to the 512MB that it came with, should I go for another 512MB or a 1GB?

14. ferrija1

ferrija1

Another 512. ;)

15. matty1stop

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice