1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compatible Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ace_Mak, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ace_Mak

Ace_Mak Thread Starter

Hey,

I plan to get a new video card soon because I have an integrated one. The thing is, I want to make sure I get one that my computer can actually run. My specs are:

1.67 Ghz AMD Athlon 2000+
    256MB RAM
    40GB HD

For sure I have an AGP slot that runs at 4x. I may get another 256MB of RAM but I haven't decided yet. I'm not looking for anything really fancy because my budget is like $50-$120. The ones I'm looking into are ATI 9200+ or the GeforceFX 5200. Will they run decently on my computer without any large problems? I just want to run Half Life 2 at like a medium setting and I will be very happy.

Also, I've noticed that some computer outlet stores sell these cards, but they always have another name in front of the video card, such as Asus GeforceFX 5200. Is it still Geforce? Is it still the same?

Also, my motherboard is a Matsonic, MS8157E. Now I know I have to go into BIOS to change the settings to AGP, but do I also have to uninstall the driver for my integrated video card?

And last thing. Even though, I hope, the installation should go smoothly, once I had a friend bring over his Geforce2 because I was going to buy it. Unfortuntely, nothing was displaying even after I changed my BIOS settings. What are the things I can do if there were something to go wrong with the computer not displaying anything?

Thanks

2. brite750

brite750

I would go with the GF FX5200 because i know it works on a similar system, I bought a Chaintech FX5200, 128mb ram, 64bit, you should get the 128bit version, I usually go with Chaintech or PNY for my nvidia cards and ATI or Shaphire for ATI based graphics, I would also get more ram, 256 will probably not run HL2 very well if at all.

3. brite750

brite750

Just looked at specs on your mobo, 266 is max fsb, that pretty slow mine had 333/400 support, also what ram are you running DDR or SDRAM the mobo has both slots. getting this setup to run HL2 smoothly will be a challange no doubt.

4. brite750

brite750

I never buy a mobo with integrated gfx, so dont know about diabling on bios, read you rmanual over carefully on this topic, may involve jumpers on mobo and or bios settings, it may be very simply setting from onboard to agp in bios dont know but im sure this site can sort it out.

5. brite750

brite750

I'm not seeing anything about jumpers as far as using ob vs agp gfx but on page 28 of your manual on your bios settings it looks like it may be in your Advanced Setup Page down near the bottom it has a setting called AGP Mode, hopefully some more experienced with this option can confirm this for you. You may have to just plug it in and mobo will recognize, but i wouldnt bet on it

6. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

In BIOS there is usually a setting for primary graphics adapter, either AGP or PCI or onboard, most likely in Advanced setup page

Or there may be an option to disable onboard video in Advanced setup page

7. Ace_Mak

Ace_Mak Thread Starter

Alright guys, thanks for fast replies.

I only see an option in my "PCI/Plug and Play Setup" to change my Primary Graphics Adapter. It's weird, because when it's set to PCI, it will still read off the integrated video card. There's no setting for "Onboard Card." I don't think there's anything in my BIOS that says "Disable Onboard Video Card" so that means I got to hope that changing it to AGP will work. Also, do I have to change some of the memory options? Such as "AGP Aperture Size, or "Shared Memory Size" or anything else like that?

Also, like I asked before, should I first uninstall the integrated graphics drivers? Should I remove it from Add/Remove Programs or from Device Manager? In my Add/Remove Programs, there is a ProsavageDDR and Utilities. There are also different components called S3 Overlay, S3 Gamma2, S2Info2, and S3Display. These are in my Advanced options in the Display properties.

Sorry for being so picky about this, hahaha, but I hate to have something go wrong and my computer just won't start up anymore.

I believe my RAM is DDR at PC 2100. I hope they still sell RAM at that speed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice