Compatible?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Temp3rMental

Sorry if this post sounds stupid, but I'm thinking of getting a new computer, so I looked one up on futureshop.ca. I found one that appealed to me, but I got to thinking "will it be enough?" I'm not much of an expert on games but I thought that the graphics card would be a bit low for some upcoming games. So, now I need some help. I found a graphics card and I was wondering if it would be good enough for the computer I'm getting; compatible with the computer.

Computer specs:
Processor Type: Intel Pentium 4 D Processor 830
Processor Speed: Two Processors At 3.0GHz Each
RAM: See The Features Section
Hard Drive: 250GB (7200RPM) Serial ATA Hard Drive
Optical Drives: (See The Features Section)
Graphics Card: (See The Features Section)
Available Expansion Bays: 1 x 5.25", 1 HP Personal Media Drive
Available Expansion Slots: 1 x PCI
Cache: 2MB L2 Cache
Disk Drive: No
Fax/Modem: 56K Modem
I/O Ports: (See The Features Section)
Included Software: (See The Features Section)
Monitor Included?: Monitor Not Included
Network Card: 10/100 Ethernet
Other Control Devices: (See The Features Section)
Preloaded Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Sound Card: (See The Features Section)
Speakers: No
System Bus: 800MHz
Warranty: 1 Year Limited Hardware

More Information

FEATURES:
RAM: 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM Expandable To 4GB
Optical Drives: Dual Layer 16X DVD+/-RW With Lightscribe Technology And DVD-ROM Drive
Integrated Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X300 SE PCI-E Graphics Card With 128MB DDR Video Memory And TV Out
I/O Ports: 6 x USB 2.0 (2 Front, 4 Back), 2 x Firewire (IEEE 1394, 1 Front, 1 Back), 9-In-1 Memory Card Reader, Composite Video, S-Video And Audio Inputs
Included Software: Microsoft Works 8, Microsoft Money, Quicken 2005, Adobe Reader 6.0, Apple iTunes For Windows, Sonic DigitalMedia Plus, InterVideo WinDVD 5 Player
Sound Card: Intel High Definition Audio, 7.1 Surround Sound Option
Other Control Devices: HP Multimedia Keyboard And Optical Mouse, HP Media center Remote Control With IR Receiver

Price: $1,499.99

Graphics Card specs:
Product Description: XFX GeForce 6800 Ultra - graphics adapter - GF 6800 Ultra - 256 MB
Device: Type Graphics adapter
Enclosure Type: Plug-in card
Interface Type: AGP 8x
Graphics Processor / Vendor: NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
RAMDAC Clock Speed: 400 MHz
API Supported: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 1.5
Video Memory Installed (Max): 256 MB - GDDR3 SDRAM
Video Output: 2048 x 1536 / 85 Hz
Max Monitors Supported: 2
TV Interface: TV out
System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Linux, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, Microsoft Windows XP

Should I get this card? Should I check for another computer? Should I get some other card? Or should I not get another card at all?

Temp3rMental

Thanks for the tip ;) , but I wanted to know if I should get the card or not. :p Sorry if I misunderstood anything, I'm in a rush right now.

Don't think that board and graphics card are compatible.I believe that board has integrated graphics and only one open pci slot (correct me if I'm wrong)Is this the system ___.futureshop.ca/marketing/vendor_hp/proddetailpc.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10062821&catid=10607&atab=2&spviewed=&PCName=Vendor_HP_Main&logon=&langid=EN#MoreInfo.....Damn won't let me post a link.If your going to be doing heavy gaming I wouldn't suggest this.Although the ati graphics is not bad I have a p5rd1-v motherboard with integrated ati graphics...Like I said I could be wrong but that board and card are not compatible the card is agp you have no agp slot

Temp3rMental

Damn, and yeah, it does only have the pci slot. Is there anyway to get an agp slot installed or do you have any other suggestions? Btw, whats the big difference between pci and agp?

Temp3rMental said:
Damn, and yeah, it does only have the pci slot. Is there anyway to get an agp slot installed or do you have any other suggestions? Btw, whats the big difference between pci and agp?
no you cannot install an agp slot its part of mobo, and no do not get a pc with no agp slot or a pci-16x express slot, pci cards are very slow and becoming obsolete, paying $1500 for a internet machine with no upgradability is foolish IMO.

http://www.jncs.com/jnmain.php
try this place, high quality stuff with much more power

Sorry, I read your thread and did not see what the motherboard is. What is it? :confused:

Temp3rMental

If its not there, then it might be somewhere on here. I don't know what it is either. This is the first time I'm actually looking into this stuff before buying a computer :p, the other 2 I have including this one, are pretty crappy mostly because I didn't know nothing about there specs. I know a bit now, but -as you can see- I still have a lot to learn. Btw, is everyone here from the US? If this is a US only site, I think I'm at the wrong place, I live Canada. Thanks for the link brite, but they don't go international xD.

EDIT: Just found a site for a good computer, but then I realized I was using the American version. After switching to the Canadian version I customized the computer and checked the price, a whopping $3,800 (without shipping/handling and tax). I need to know if I should tone down the specs, or raise them.

Systemax™ SpitFire AMD Socket 939 Built-To-Order Gaming PC:

Modems: No Modem Selected
Monitors: No Monitor Selected
Hard Disk Drives: No Third Hard Drive selected
Hard Disk Drives: No Fourth Hard Drive Selected
Hard Disk Drives: No second hard drive selected
Memory: Kingston Hyper X 2GB Memory (512MB x 4)
Networking: Dual Integrated Gigabit LAN Adapters
Flash Memory: No USB Pen Drive Selected
Accessories: 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty w/ 1 Year Onsite
Accessories: No Firewire Card Selected
Video / Graphics Cards: No TV Tuner Card Selected
Software: Microsoft Windows XP Professional DSP w/ SP2
Hard Disk Drives: 250GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
Accessories: X-Navigator Gaming Base
Accessories: K8N NEO2 Athlon S939 Motherboard
Processors: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ S939 Processor
Components: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Sound Card
Video / Graphics Cards: GeForce FX 6800 GT 256MB AGP Card
Accessories: No Gaming Headset Selected
Computer Cases: No PC Transport System Selected
Keyboards / Mice / Input: No Joystick Selected
Keyboards / Mice / Input: No Gamepad Selected
Accessories: Systemax AMD X-Gaming PC
CD/DVD Drives: 16X DVD+R/RW-R/RW Dual Layer Drive
CD/DVD Drives: 52x32x52 CDRW Drive
Speakers: Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Keyboards / Mice / Input: Logitech MX510 Optical Mouse (Blue)
Keyboards / Mice / Input: Logitech Media Keyboard Clavier Multimedia

Total (with S&H and Tax): $4,509.26 Canadian

No this site is world wide from what I've seen Temp3rMental, I'm a Canuck too though. But I'm not a hardware guy, just an interested bystander. You sure came to the right place for help though. You will notice that most conversations regarding pricing are either in US $ or in Pounds, (don't know symbol) Us Canucks got to convert sometimes hehe.

Temp3rMental

BOOH! I hate converting :p. Thanks for the support just foo, and you too accat. I'll try and check that site out later, and by the way, richmond is pretty close to where I live.

Temp3rMental

Sorry for the double post. Now, can someone give me any suggestions on the specs I wrote down before:

I need to know if I should tone down the specs, or raise them.

Systemax™ SpitFire AMD Socket 939 Built-To-Order Gaming PC:

Modems: No Modem Selected
Monitors: No Monitor Selected
Hard Disk Drives: No Third Hard Drive selected
Hard Disk Drives: No Fourth Hard Drive Selected
Hard Disk Drives: No second hard drive selected
Memory: Kingston Hyper X 2GB Memory (512MB x 4)
Networking: Dual Integrated Gigabit LAN Adapters
Flash Memory: No USB Pen Drive Selected
Accessories: 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty w/ 1 Year Onsite
Accessories: No Firewire Card Selected
Video / Graphics Cards: No TV Tuner Card Selected
Software: Microsoft Windows XP Professional DSP w/ SP2
Hard Disk Drives: 250GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
Accessories: X-Navigator Gaming Base
Accessories: K8N NEO2 Athlon S939 Motherboard
Processors: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ S939 Processor
Components: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Sound Card
Video / Graphics Cards: GeForce FX 6800 GT 256MB AGP Card
Accessories: No Gaming Headset Selected
Computer Cases: No PC Transport System Selected
Keyboards / Mice / Input: No Joystick Selected
Keyboards / Mice / Input: No Gamepad Selected
Accessories: Systemax AMD X-Gaming PC
CD/DVD Drives: 16X DVD+R/RW-R/RW Dual Layer Drive
CD/DVD Drives: 52x32x52 CDRW Drive
Speakers: Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Keyboards / Mice / Input: Logitech MX510 Optical Mouse (Blue)
Keyboards / Mice / Input: Logitech Media Keyboard Clavier Multimedia
And can someone also give me suggestions on some new specs:

Case - XG Viper 19IN Case Red/Black 500W Front USB Audio 1394 LCD Temp Display UV Red Window - $149.99
Heat Sink - Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU AMD P4 S462 S478 S754 S939 S940 Copper 1350-2600RPM 18-27.5DBA CPU HSF /W LED - $43.71
Processor - Intel Pentium 4 670 3.8GHZ LGA775 800MHZ 2MB Cache EM64T XD 90NM HT Processor Retail Box - $1,277.03
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8IPE775-G ATX I865PE LGA775 DDR AGP8X 5PCI SATA Sound GBLAN Motherboard - $116.15
Memory - OCZ Dual Channel DDR2 PC2-4200 2X1024MB Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth REV2 - $697.35
IDE Hard Drives - Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB 7200RPM ATA100 IDE 8MB 8.9MS Hard Drive OEM - $269.04
Floppy - Sony Black 1.44MB 3.5IN Floppy Drive - $10.13
Video Card - XFX GeForce 6800 GT AGP8X 256MB DDR3 DVI & TV Out Retail Box - $553.70
Power Supply - Fortron FSP/SPI AX500-A 500W ATX12V 2.0 24PIN Blue Storm Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan Retail - $105.79
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 1394 PCI Retail Box - $112.37
DVD Writer - LG GSA-4163B DVD+RW 16X8X16X DVD-RW 16X6X16 CDRW 40X24X40 Dual Layer+R 4X INT IDE Black OEM W/ SW - $71.60
Network Card - Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 PCI 10/100mbps - $34.83
CD Writers - LG Black 52X24X52 CDRW& 16X DVD Combo INT EIDE ATAPI OEM W/ CDRW SW - $53.71
Keyboard - Logitech LX 300 Cordless Desktop Wireless Keyboard & Optical Mouse Set USB/PS2 - $75.28
Speaker - Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 Speakers System 90W RMS Black - $106.63
Operating System - Windows XP Media Center Edition OEM Sunon 80MM Fan & Logitech Optical Mouse Bundle - $187.31
Inkjet Printer - FREE! Lexmark Z615 Colour Inkjet Printer (after $40 CAD MIR) - $40.00

Full assembly and testing of the system - $0.00

TOTAL - $3,904.61

I particularly need help on which: Heatsink, Motherboard, Power Supply and Processor I should get. Any suggestions would be great. I need to decide on a computer by next week, I want to be able to get it somewhere close to my b-day (July 1st :p).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online